Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1978
|Long title||An Act to promote the reform of the statute law by the repeal, in accordance with recommendations of the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission, of certain enactments which (except in so far as their effect is preserved) are no longer of practical utility; and to facilitate the citation of statutes.|
|Citation||1978 c 45|
|Introduced by||Lord Elwyn-Jones LC|
|Royal assent||31 July 1978|
|Commencement||31 July 1978|
This Act was partly in force in Great Britain at the end of 2010.
It implemented recommendations contained in the ninth report on statute law revision, by the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission.
In section 3(2), the words "or the Isle of Man" were repealed by Group 2 of Part IX of Schedule 1 to the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1998.
Orders under this section
The power conferred by section 3(2) was exercised by the Statute Law Repeals (Isle of Man) Order 1984 (SI 1984/1692).
The Orders in Council made under section 3(2) have lapsed because of the repeal made to that section by the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1998.
This Schedule was repealed by Group 2 of Part IX of Schedule 1 to the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1998.
Paragraph 1 of this Schedule authorised the citation by short titles of three Acts passed between 1554 and 1854. This Schedule was repealed by section 1(1) of, and Part IV of Schedule 1 to, the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1995.
- Halsbury's Statutes. Fourth Edition. 2008 Reissue. Volume 41. Page 835.
- Peter Allsop (General editor). Current Law Statutes Annotated 1978. Sweet & Maxwell, Stevens & sons. London. W Green & son. Edinburgh. 1978. Volume 2.
- The Public General Acts and General Synod Measures 1978. HMSO. London. 1979. Part II. Pages 1095 to 1137.
- HL Deb vol 390, col 1979, vol 391, cols 1160 to 1162, vol 395, col 321, HC Deb vol 954, cols 1104 to 1105.
- The citation of this Act by this short title is authorised by section 4 of this Act.
- HL Deb vol 390 col 1979
- The Acts of Parliament (Commencement) Act 1793
- The Chronological Table of the Statutes, 1235 - 2010. The Stationery Office. 2011. ISBN 978-0-11-840509-6. Part II. Page 1411, read with pages viii and x of Part I.
- The Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission. Statute Law Revision: Ninth Report. Law Com 87. SLC 48. Cmnd 7189. HMSO. London. May 1978.
- Halsbury's Statutes. Fourth Edition. 2008 Reissue. Volume 41. Page 836.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|