Stavanger Symphony Orchestra
The Stavanger Symphony Orchestra (Norwegian: Stavanger Symfoniorkester, SSO) is a symphony orchestra based in Stavanger, Norway. The SSO's past principal venue was the Stavanger Konserthus, and has more recently taken up residence in the new Nytt konserthus i Stavanger IKS, performing in the Fartein Valen concert hall.
The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation founded the orchestra in 1938 as the Stavanger musikerforenings orkester, for radio broadcasts. The orchestra's first artistic leader was the violinist Gunnar Knudsen, from 1938 to 1945. In 1965, the orchestra's name was changed to the Symfoniorkestret i Stavanger, and again in 1982 to its present name.
Past artistic leaders of the orchestra have included Susanna Mälkki (2002-2005), and more recently the American conductor Steven Sloane (2007-2013). In September 2011, the SSO announced the appointment of Christian Vásquez as its next chief conductor, effective with the 2013-2014 season, with an initial contract of 4 years. In addition to its chief conductor, the SSO has appointed conductors with a formal principal responsibility for early music programming, including Frans Brüggen (1990-1997), Philippe Herreweghe, and since 2006, Fabio Biondi.
Artistic leaders and Chief Conductors
- Gunnar Knudsen (1938-1945)
- Karsten Andersen (1945-1963)
- Bjørn Woll (1963-1989)
- Alexander Dmitriev (1990-1998)
- Ole Kristian Ruud (2000-2002)
- Susanna Mälkki (2002-2005)
- Steven Sloane (2007–2013)
- Christian Vásquez (2013-present)
Early music programme directors
- "Steven Sloane blir ny sjefdirigent i Stavanger". MIC Norsk musikkinformasjon. 2006-05-23. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "Vásquez ny sjefdirigent" (Press release). Stavanger Symphony Orchestra. September 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- G.S.R. (November 1999). "Review: Tveitt, 100 Folk-tunes from Hardanger, Suites Nos. 1 and 2, Op. 151. Stavanger Symphony Orchestra, Ole Kristian Ruud". Gramophone. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- Official orchestra site
- Store Norske leksikon entry on the orchestra
- Music Web International review of BIS CD-1162, Harald Sæverud, Symphony No. 5 and other works, 5 July 2005.
- Music Web International review of BIS CD-1632, "Fartein Valen: Orchestral Music, Volume 2", 9 April 2009.