|Town of Stavely|
View down Main Street at Stavely's
last remaining grain elevator, June 2010.
|Motto: In the Heart of Farming and Ranching|
|Municipal district||Municipal District of Willow Creek No. 26|
|• Village||October 16, 1903|
|• Town||May 25, 1912|
|• Mayor||Gentry Hall|
|• Governing body|
|• Land||1.83 km2 (0.71 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,044 m (3,425 ft)|
|• Density||296.2/km2 (767/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC−7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC−6)|
|Area code(s)||+1-403, +1-587|
The Canadian Pacific Railway once ran through the town. Its closure led to the removal of all but one of Stavely's grain elevators.
The people of Stavely and area are proud of their friendliness and community spirit.
In the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the Town of Stavely recorded a population of 541 living in 265 of its 290 total private dwellings, a 7.1% change from its 2011 population of 505. With a land area of 1.83 km2 (0.71 sq mi), it had a population density of 295.6/km2 (765.7/sq mi) in 2016.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Stavely had a population of 505 living in 247 of its 278 total dwellings, a 16.1% change from its 2006 population of 435. With a land area of 1.62 km2 (0.63 sq mi), it had a population density of 311.7/km2 (807.4/sq mi) in 2011.
The population of the Town of Stavely according to its 2007 municipal census is 497.
Arts and culture
Stavely is known as the home of the Stavely Indoor Rodeo. Founded in 1929, it is the world's first indoor rodeo. In 1996 the miniseries In Cold Blood was filmed in Stavely. In 2012 the community celebrated its 100th birthday.
The town has a 9-hole golf course named the Stavely Golf Club. It was one of the few remaining sand green golf courses in Canada until the sand greens were recently converted to artificial greens. Other recreation venues and facilities include an arena, archery lanes, a recreational vehicle campground, a ball diamond and parks. Stavely is also home to a museum.
The Pine Coulee Reservoir, a popular place for recreation and camping, is 5 km (3.1 mi) west of Stavely. Clear Lake recreation area (camping/water sports) is located 19 km east of Stavely. Willow Creek Municipal Park (campground) is located 16 km west of Stavely.
Stavely's only school, Stavely Elementary School, teaches local children from Kindergarten through Grade 6. The school was renovated in 2002, and its school motto is Every Child Shines. Prior to the 2002 renovation, grades 7-9 students attended A. J. Nowicki Jr. High School, which has been demolished. The Stavely Education Foundation has been established to assist former students with the costs of post-secondary education.
The following is a list of the Town of Stavely's volunteer community organizations and service groups.
- "Location and History Profile: Town of Stavely" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. October 7, 2016. p. 590. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. September 22, 2017. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- "Alberta Private Sewage Systems 2009 Standard of Practice Handbook: Appendix A.3 Alberta Design Data (A.3.A. Alberta Climate Design Data by Town)" (PDF) (PDF). Safety Codes Council. January 2012. pp. 212–215 (PDF pages 226–229). Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Town of Stavely. "Town of Stavely". Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- Butte Stands Guard : Stavely and District. Stavely, Alberta: Stavely Historical Book Society. 1976. p. 15. ISBN 0-919213-14-6.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs (2009-09-15). "Alberta 2009 Official Population List" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- Town of Stavely. "Unique Attractions". Retrieved 2010-03-18. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "attractions" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Town of Stavely. "Facilities". Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- Town of Stavely. "Service Groups". Retrieved 2010-03-18.