|Location||Charlton Musgrove, Somerset, England|
|Designated||24 March 1961|
Stavordale Priory in Charlton Musgrove, Somerset, England was built as a priory of Augustinian canons in the 13th century and was converted into a private residence after the suppression of the monastery in 1538. It has been designated as a Grade I listed building.
The list of Augustinian Priors of Stavordale Priory includes one 'John' Bodman who died there, as Prior, in 1361. Closer examination of the (Latin) primary source for this reference, however, reveals that his name was not, in fact, given as the English form 'John' but Johannis, the Latin form of Johannes. This appears to be the earliest historical record in England of a Johannes Bodman, and it is possible that he was a scion of the ancient, noble house of the Ritter von Bodman (also Freiherren and Grafen von und zu Bodman), who lived then and still live today at Bodman am Bodensee. However the name 'Johannis' is the Latin form for 'John' as well as 'Johannes' and there is little reason to create a German link to the prior.
The bell tower is known to have existed by 1374, and the church was refitted and rebuilt around 1439. The chantry of Jesus was described as having been "recently completed" in 1526. It is thought to be linked to the village's old church near the altar by a tunnel, perhaps used as a priest's escape route, some two miles in length. Again there is no evidence or reason for such a 'tunnel' escape route.
It is now owned by Sir Cameron Mackintosh, a British theatrical producer notable for his association with many commercially successful musicals.  The gardens of Stavordale Priory were featured in the 2017 book The Secret Gardeners by Victoria Summerley and photographer Hugo Rittson Thomas.
- "Stavordale Priory". historicengland.org.uk. English Heritage. Retrieved 11 June 2009.
- Bush, Robin (1994). Somerset: The complete guide. Wimborne, Dorset: Dovecote Press. p. 62. ISBN 1-874336-26-1.
- Page, William (1911). "The Priory of Stavordale". Houses of Augustinian Canons. British History Online. pp. 139–141. Retrieved 11 June 2009.
- Victoria Country History of Somerset, vol.2, pp.139-141
- Somerset Record Society Publications, x, p.764
- de:Bodman (Adelsgeschlecht)
- "Stavordale Priory". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 11 June 2009.
- "The Musical is Money to His Ears" New York Times 9 December 1990
- Summerley and Rittson Thomas, 2017 pg. 195-205