This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Stavros D. Mavroudeas (born 1961) is a Greek economist working in the tradition of Political Economy. He is currently Professor of Political Economy at the Department of Economics of the University of Macedonia in Thessaloniki, Greece. His work in political economy has focused on Marxist Political Economy, Development Economics, Labour Economics, History of Economic Thought and Greek Economic History. He has written on economic crises, Greek macroeconomic policy, growth theory, economics of the European integration, postmodernist economics, Regulation Approach and radical institutionalist theories.
Stavros Mavroudeas was born in Athens, in 1961. He graduated from Varvakeios Model School in 1979. He received his BA in Economics in 1984 from the Economics Department of the University of Athens. He subsequently received his MSc in Economics in 1986 from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) of the University of London. Finally, he completed his PhD in Economics in 1990 at Birkbeck College of the University of London. The title of his PhD was Regulation Approach: A Critical Appraisal and was supervised by Prof. Ben Fine. His postgraduate studies were funded by the Greek State Scholarships Foundation (IKY).
In 1993, he joined the Economics Department of the University of Macedonia as a lecturer and later promoted to assistant professor, associate professor and professor. He is continuing to work there as professor of Political Economy.
He is teaching or has taught Political Economy (at an introductory, advanced and postgraduate level), Economic Analysis and Development Economics. Some of the optional courses taught by S.Mavroudeas include Theories of Economic Crises, Structural Problems of the Greek Economy, Economic Problems of Contemporary Capitalism.
S.Mavroudeas has given lectures in Greece and abroad on relevant matters.
His major political influences stem from the Left in Greece and from progressive movements abroad. He has been a student union activist and an academic trade unionist. His major theoretical influences come from Marxism.
He has been a founding member and subsequently a council member of the Greek Association of Political Economy. He has published and refereed in many academic journal including Science & Society, Review of Radical Political Economics, Review of Political Economy, Economie Appliquee, International Critical Thought etc. He had also participated in many conferences as presenter, discussant, chair and organiser.
- Mavroudeas S. - Siriopoulos C. (1998), ‘Convergence or divergence: the data from Greece’, Journal of Applied Business Research vol.14 no.1.
- Mavroudeas S. (2004), ‘Forms of existence of abstract labour and value-form’, Freeman A.-Kliman A.-Wells J. (2004), eds, ‘The New Value Controversy: the Foundations of Economics’, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Mavroudeas S. (1999), ‘Regulation Theory: The Road from Creative Marxism to Post-Modern Disintegration’, Science & Society vol.63 no.3.
- Mavroudeas S. (1999), ‘Periodising Capitalism: Problems and Method - The case of the Regulation Approach’ in Research in Political Economy vol.17.
- Mavroudeas S. (2001), ‘The Falling Rate of Profit’, review essay for the Routledge Encyclopedia of International Political Economy.
- Mavroudeas S. (2001), ‘The Mode of Regulation’, review essay for the Routledge Encyclopedia of International Political Economy.
- Mavroudeas S. (2001), ‘The Monetary Equivalent of Labour and certain issues regarding Money and the Value of Labour-Power’, Economie Applique tome LIV no.1.
- Mavroudeas S. (2003), ‘Commodities, workers and institutions: Analytical and empirical problems in Regulation’s Consumption Theory’, Review of Radical Political Economics vol.35 no.4.
- Mavroudeas S. & Ioannides A. (2006), ‘Grossmann, Kalecki and the theory of crisis: A comment on Trigg’, Science & Society vol.7 no. 3.
- Mavroudeas S. & Ioannides A. (2006), ‘Henryk Grossmann’s Falling Rate of Profit theory of crisis: a presentation and a reply to old and new critics’, Indian Development Review vol.4 no.1.
- Mavroudeas S. (2006), ‘A History of Contemporary Political Economy and Post-Modernism’, Review of Radical Political Economics vol.38 no.4.
- Mavroudeas S. & Papadatos D. (2007), ‘Reform, Reform the Reforms or Simply Regression? The 'Washington Consensus' and its Critics’, Bulletin of Political Economy vol.1 no.1.
- Mavroudeas S. & Ioannides A. (2007), ‘Overworked Greeks? Working time trends in Greece’, Asian-African Journal of Economics and Econometrics vol.7 no.1-2.
- Mavroudeas S. (2010), ‘Development and crises: The turbulent course of Greek capitalism’ in the collective volume Topos (2010), The chart of crisis: The end of self-deceit, Athens: Topos Publishers (in Greek).
- Ioannides A. & Mavroudeas S. (2010), ‘Work more or work harder? The length and the intensity of work in Marx’s ‘Capital’, Science & Society, vol.74 no.1.
- Mavroudeas S. (2011), ‘The Regulation Approach’ in Fine B. & Saad-Filho A. (eds.) Companion to Marxist Economics, Edward Elgar.
- Mavroudeas S. (2011), ‘The Social Structures of Accumulation approach’ in Fine B. & Saad-Filho A. (eds.) Companion to Marxist Economics, Edward Elgar.
- Ioannides A. & Mavroudeas S. (2011), ‘Duration, Intensity and Productivity of Labour and the Distinction between Absolute and Relative Surplus-Value’, Review of Political Economy, vol.23 no.3.
- Ioannides A. & Mavroudeas S. (2011), ‘A model for the relationship between working time and the intensity of labour’, Bulletin of Political Economy vol.5 no.2.
- Mavroudeas S. & Papadatos D. (2012), ‘Financial Regulation in the light of the current global economic crisis’, International Critical Thought vol.2 no.4.
- Mavroudeas S. (2013), ‘Development and Crisis: The Turbulent Course of Greek Capitalism’, International Critical Thought vol.3 no.3.
- Gialis S. & Mavroudeas S. (2014), ‘Virtual Water: more heat than light?’, Capitalism Nature Socialism vol.5 no.2.
- Mavroudeas S. (2013), ‘Teaching Political Economy and Marxism at an introductory level: A view from Greece’, International Journal of Pluralism and Economics Education vol.4 no.3.
- Mavroudeas S. (2014) ed., Greek capitalism in crisis: Marxist Analyses, London: Routledge.
- Ioannides A., Oxouzi E. & Mavroudeas S. (2014), ‘All work and no ... pay? Unpaid overtime in Greece: determining factors and theoretical explanations’, Industrial Relations Journal vol.45 no.1.
- Mavroudeas S. (2011), 'The Limits of Regulation: A Critical Analysis of Capitalist Development', Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.