Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (Greek: Κέντρο Πολιτισμού Ίδρυμα Σταύρος Νιάρχος) is a complex in the bay of Faliro in Athens which includes new facilities for the National Library of Greece (NLG) and the Greek National Opera (GNO), as well as the 210,000 m² Stavros Niarchos Park. The Center was designed by architect Renzo Piano and is being built by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation. The €566 million project was completed in 2016, and was donated to the Greek state in 2017.
Plans for a big scale donation by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation started in 1998. Initially the foundation planned to make separate donations to the National Library and the National Opera. In 2006 it was decided to build one complex for both organizations and after discussions with the Greek state the area of the former horse racing track was chosen. In 2008 the foundation chose Italian architect Renzo Piano to design the complex and in 2012 construction works started.
Renzo Piano envisaged the SNFCC rising out of the ground like a dislodged piece of the earth’s crust. As a result, an artificial hill is constructed and the roof of both the library and the opera house is emerging from it maintaining the slope. The library is lower and the ‘hill’ concludes with the opera house. The roof of the library will be covered with ground material. On top of the opera house there will be a canopy supported on thin steel columns. According to Piano, "the canopy represents a cloud hovering over the highest point of the hill".
- *(in Greek) (17 October 2013). "Κέντρου Πολιτισμού - Iδρυμα Στ. Νιάρχος: κατασκευή με τεχνολογία αιχμής". Καθημερινή. Retrieved 17 June 2014
- Ike Ijeh (7 November 2013). Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre roof, Athens. building.co.uk. Retrieved 17 June 2014
- "interactive, panoramic Google Street View image of the cultural center". Geographic.org/streetview. Retrieved 2018-03-20.
- "Interactive, panoramic Google Street View image of the opera auditorium". Geographic.org/streetview. Retrieved 2018-03-20.
- Lederman, Josh (November 16, 2016). "Obama urges nations not to give in to isolationist impulses". KWWL. Archived from the original on November 17, 2016.
President Barack Obama and Greek President Prokopis Pavlopoulos, right, greet guest as they make their way to their seats to begin a State Dinner at the Presidential Mansion
- Maltezou, Renee (November 16, 2016). "Obama says confident U.S. will continue commitment to NATO". Reuters. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- Leonidas Kourmadas (7 February 2014). "Athens building its modern-day Acropolis". gbtimes.com. Retrieved 17 June 2014
- (in Greek) Γιώργος Λάλιος (10 June 2014). "Στο μεγαλύτερο έργο της Αθήνας". Καθημερινή. Retrieved 17 June 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center.|