Stay (Pink Floyd song)
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Song by Pink Floyd from the album Obscured by Clouds|
|Published||World Copyrights Ltd|
|Released||10 July 1972|
Château d'Hérouville, Pontoise, France
|Genre||Progressive rock, soft rock|
|Writer(s)||Roger Waters, Richard Wright|
"Stay" is a song from Pink Floyd's 1972 album Obscured by Clouds. It is known for being one of the album's particularly slow-moving, lyrical songs. The song was also issued as the B-side of "Free Four".
The main musical theme and verse of the song stay on a pedal point of G in the bass, while the chords above it change in a typical I-IV-V progression (G, C, and D major). The D major over the G bass results in the appearance of a G major seventh chord, evoking a "melancholy" or "bittersweet" feeling. The chorus modulates to the parallel minor, with a chord change of G minor to C major, a common progression in Wright's compositions. (See "Pow R. Toc H.", the "Funky Dung" section of the "Atom Heart Mother" suite, or "The Great Gig in the Sky".) This chord change evokes a ii-V-I progression that is left unfinished.
- Richard Wright – lead vocals, piano
- David Gilmour – wah-wah electric guitar, backing vocals
- Roger Waters – bass guitar
- Nick Mason – drums
- Strong, Martin C. (2004). The Great Rock Discography (7th ed.). Edinburgh: Canongate Books. p. 1177. ISBN 1-84195-551-5.
- Mabbett, Andy (1995). The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-7119-4301-X.
- Manning, Toby (2006). "The Albums". The Rough Guide to Pink Floyd (1st ed.). London: Rough Guides. p. 164. ISBN 1-84353-575-0.
- "'Free Four' / 'Stay' @ rateyourmusic.com".
- Manning, Toby (2006). "The Albums". The Rough Guide to Pink Floyd (1st ed.). London: Rough Guides. pp. 164–165. ISBN 1-84353-575-0.
- Mabbett, Andy (2004). "Obscured by Clouds". Pink Floyd — Story und Songs kompakt (in German). Berlin: Bosworth Edition. p. 47. ISBN 3-937041-92-3.
- Manning, Toby (2006). "The Albums". The Rough Guide to Pink Floyd (1st ed.). London: Rough Guides. p. 165. ISBN 1-84353-575-0.
- "Stay". Pink Floyd Anthology. Hal Leonard Corporation. 1 February 1986. pp. 62–65. ISBN 978-0-88188-445-6.
|This 1970s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|