Stay with Me (Faces song)
|"Stay with Me"|
|Single by Faces|
|from the album A Nod Is As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse|
|Released||December 1971; November 2019 (Rod Stewart version)|
|Genre||Hard rock, boogie rock|
|Songwriter(s)||Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood|
|Producer(s)||Faces, Glyn Johns|
|Faces singles chronology|
"Stay with Me" was co-written by lead singer Rod Stewart and guitarist Ronnie Wood, and performed by English rock band Faces. Released from the band's third studio album A Nod Is As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse (1971), it became their only major hit in the United States, although they racked up a further three Top 20 singles in the UK chart. The song has also appeared on various Faces compilations and on albums by both songwriters. The lyrics describe a woman named Rita, who has a face that is "nothing to laugh about", and with whom the singer proposes a one-night stand, on the condition that she be gone when he wakes up.
"Stay with Me" reached number 17 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and spent two weeks at number 10 on the Cash Box Top 100. The song also reached number 6 in the UK Singles Chart and number 4 in Canada.
Re-recordings and cover versions
Def Leppard covered the song on Yeah! "Phil [Collen, guitarist] sang 'Stay with Me'," noted singer Joe Elliott. "It's his best Rod Stewart impression. I played the Fender Rhodes, he got to sing. There was a lot of instrument-swapping going on. Vivian [Campbell, guitarist] played some great Ronnie Wood slide guitar."
- Rod Stewart – lead vocals
- Ronnie Wood – guitar, slide guitar
- Ian McLagan – Wurlitzer electronic piano
- Ronnie Lane – bass
- Kenney Jones – drums
- "Cash Box Top 100 2/26/72". Cashboxmagazine.com. Retrieved 1 June 2021.
- "stay with me | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 1 June 2021.
- "Top Singles - Volume 17, No. 3, March 04 1972". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1 October 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Unplugged....And Seated - Rod Stewart | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic" – via www.allmusic.com.
- Ling, Dave (July 2006). "The dirt: Joe Elliott". Classic Rock #94. p. 38.
- "Alive at Last - Train | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 1 June 2021.
- "The Umbrella Academy | Mary J. Blige Recording "Stay With Me"". Archived from the original on 12 December 2021 – via www.youtube.com.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 107. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Faces - Stay With Me". Charts.nz. Retrieved 1 June 2021.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Stay with Me". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-2002
- "Dutch Charts". Dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 1 June 2021.