Stays in Mexico
|"Stays in Mexico"|
|Single by Toby Keith|
|from the album Greatest Hits 2|
|Released||August 16, 2004|
|Toby Keith singles chronology|
"Stays in Mexico" is a song written and recorded by American country music artist Toby Keith. It was released in August 2004 as the lead off single from his compilation album Greatest Hits 2. The song peaked at number 3 in the U.S. on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart.
The song features a man named Steve, who was an insurance salesman from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and a woman named Gina, who was a first-grade school teacher from Phoenix, Arizona. Both are in Cabo San Lucas without their spouses and meet in the Cabo Wabo Cantina. Steve and Gina engage in a tequila fueled weekend affair. The songs chorus repeats that "what happens down in Mexico, stays in Mexico."
Kevin John Coyne, reviewing the song for Country Universe, gave it a mixed rating. He stated that the song is "great until you process the depth of its immorality; then, you’re just sick to your stomach." 
The music video was directed by Michael Salomon and premiered on CMT on August 19, 2004. The video was filmed in July 2004 and featured Oklahoma Sooners football administrative coordinator, Matt McMillen and actress, Chanel Hart as Gina. 
"Stays in Mexico" debuted at number 27 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of August 14, 2004.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Billboard Hot 100||51|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||39|
- Coyne, Kevin John (2004-08-09). "Toby Keith - "Stays in Mexico"". Country Universe. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=program/mcmillen McMillen guards Stoops' blind side
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Toby Keith.
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Toby Keith.
- "Best of 2004: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2004. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
|This 2000s country song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|