Steak and eggs
|Course||Breakfast or brunch|
|Region or state||Global cuisine|
|Main ingredients||beefsteak and eggs|
Steak and eggs is a dish prepared with beefsteak and eggs as primary ingredients. It is most typically served as a breakfast or brunch food, although it can also be consumed at any mealtime, such as for dinner in the evening.
Various types of beefsteaks can be used, such as rib eye, strip, sirloin and flank, among others. Additional ingredients may include bell pepper, garlic, onion, butter, salt, pepper, seasonings and others. Accompaniments may include various sauces, such as steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chimichurri. and others.
Variations include steak and egg sandwiches, open sandwiches and steak and Eggs Benedict. A version of steak and egg salad utilizes greens such as arugula, poached eggs and steak. Vegetarian versions also exist, in which vegetables, such as cauliflower, squash and potatoes, are sliced into thick steaks and served with eggs.
In popular culture
Steak and eggs is the traditional NASA astronaut's breakfast, first served to Alan Shepard before his flight on May 5, 1961.
Having been a common breakfast in Australia in the first half of the 20th century, the meal is also the customary pre-landing breakfast of the United States Marine Corps, due to the Marines having copied it from Australian soldiers when the two countries campaigned together during the Pacific War.
- The Farmstead Egg Cookbook. p. 71.
- Steak Lover's Cookbook. p. 71.
- Simply Fresh: Casual Dining at Home. p. 60.
- Brunch. p. 120.
- The Complete Guide to Naturally Gluten-Free Foods. p. 84.
- Paleo Breakfast Recipes.
- Eggs on Top: Recipes Elevated by an Egg. p. 146.
- Hirsch, J.M. (April 24, 2012). "Fast Food: Vegetarian 'steak' and eggs". The Herald News. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- Steak, Beans and Vests: NASA's Weird Traditions.
- "Steak and Eggs Landing Party Breakfast at Monroe VFW hall – MonroeTalks.com calendar, powered by Helios Calendar". Monroetalks.com. 24 March 2012. Retrieved 29 June 2012.[dead link]
- Steven J. Morabito (2008). Terranova, a Remembrance. Books.google.com.au. ISBN 9781467864909. Retrieved 29 June 2012.