This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Developer(s)||Planet Peer community members|
0.8.8.0 / 2017
|Operating system||Windows, Linux (GUI with Wine otherwise CLI)|
|Type||File sharing, Anonymous peer to peer|
StealthNet is an anonymous P2P file sharing software based on the original RShare client, and has been enhanced. It was first named 'RShare CE' (RShare Community Edition). It use the same network and protocols as RShare.
In 2012, the developers had an incident with the software Apache Subversion, a part of the source code of StealthNet was lost : versions 0.8.7.5 (February 2010) to 0.8.7.9 (October 2010). However the source code is still available as files.
Some of the features of StealhNet:
- Mix network (use for the pseudo anonymous process)
- Easy to use (same principles as eMule)
- Multi-source download : 'Swarming' (Segmented file transfer)
- Resumption of interrupted downloads
- Can filter the file types searched (allowing to search only among the videos/archives/musics/... files)
- SNCollection: this type of file contain a list of files shared into StealthNet. Like the "eMule collection" file and Torrents files
- Point-to-Point traffic encryption with AES standard process (Advanced Encryption Standard, 256 bits)
- EndPoint to EndPoint traffic encryption with RSA standard (1024 bits)
- Strong file hashes based on SHA-512 algorithm
- Anti-flooding measures
- Text mode client available for OS with Monosupport like Linux, OSX and others
- Has no support for UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), the user must open a port number (ie: 6097) into his router.
- Anonymity is unproven.
- The source code contains no documentation at all.
- The encryption level (AES 256 bits and RSA 1024 bits in the v0.8.7.9) that was strong in the 2000's is now medium since the 2010's.
- "Computing notes « bric à brac »". www.p2pia.xl.cx.
- "WineHQ - StealthNet". appdb.winehq.org.
- "DarkNode". BrotherSoft.
- "Wayback Machine". web.archive.org.
- Entwicklungsfortschritt (Development progress)
- http://board.planetpeer.de/index.php/topic,9017.0.html We will survive
- StealthNet v0.8.7.9 source code, file '\core\Core\Constants.cs'