SteamWorld Dig 2
|SteamWorld Dig 2|
|Developer(s)||Image & Form|
|Publisher(s)||Image & Form|
Rising Star Games (retail)
|Platform(s)||Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Nintendo 3DS Xbox One|
Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux
|Genre(s)||Platformer, action-adventure, metroidvania|
SteamWorld Dig 2 is a 2D platform action-adventure video game developed and published by Image & Form. It is the fourth installment in the SteamWorld series of games and the direct sequel to 2013's SteamWorld Dig. It was released on 21 September 2017 for Nintendo Switch in the Nintendo eShop, on Steam for Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Linux, on the PlayStation Store for PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita, and on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS.
Carrying on from its predecessor, SteamWorld Dig, SteamWorld Dig 2 puts players in control of Dorothy, a steam-driven robot searching for the previous protagonist, Rusty, who disappeared following the events of the previous game. Like the original game, gameplay largely involves exploring a vast underground mine, coming up against enemy creatures while also finding various resources as the player digs their way downwards. As the game progresses, Dorothy can gain new abilities and weapons such as pressure bombs, a hookshot, and a pneumatic arm that can punch through rock. Any resources found can be traded in for cash in the game's hub world, where the player can upgrade their health, weapons, and abilities. Each of the weapons also have perks that can be activated by installing Upgrade Cogs found in secret areas. More blueprints for upgrades become available to the player by either increasing their level by killing enemies or completing quests, or by finding artifacts hidden in the mines.
The story takes place inbetween the events of SteamWorld Dig and SteamWorld Heist. Following Rusty's disappearance at the end of SteamWorld Dig, Dorothy, a robot who he had befriended, travels to the mining town of El Machino in order to search for him. Along the way, she comes across Fen, a remnant of the Vectron that Rusty had previously fought, who joins Dorothy as a navigator. While searching the mines for Rusty while also hearing rumors of him turning into a monstrous machine, Dorothy comes across a group of humans led by Rosie, who claims that mysterious machines are triggering earthquakes. Dorothy goes to destroy these machines, only to discover that Rosie had lied to her. In actuality, the machines were built by Rusty to prevent Rosie from harnessing a powerful energy source to get rid of all robots. Dorothy manages to defeat Rosie and rescue Rusty, only for the energy source to become unstable, prompting Fen to stay behind while she warps the two to safety, allowing them to escape on a rocket with the other El Machino residents before the planet explodes. As the robots explore space in order to set up a new civilization, Dorothy remains hopeful that she will one day be reunited with Fen.
The game was nominated for "Best Portable Game" in Destructoid's Game of the Year Awards 2017, for "Best Switch Game" and "Best Action-Adventure Game" in IGN's Best of 2017 Awards, for "Game Engineering" at the 17th Annual National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers Awards, and for "Best Indie Game" at the 2018 Golden Joystick Awards.
- Guldbog, Julius (August 30, 2017). "SteamWorld Dig 2: Release Date & Price". Image & Form. Retrieved August 30, 2017.
- Guldbog, Julius (September 4, 2017). "PlayStation Fans: SteamWorld Dig 2 hits PS4 & PS Vita on Sept 26". Image & Form. Retrieved September 4, 2017.
- Reseigh-Lincoln, Dom (February 12, 2018). "SteamWorld Dig 2 Will Dig A Path To Nintendo 3DS On 22nd February". Nintendo Life. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- Chau, Sandra (February 6, 2018). "STEAMWORLD DIG 2 RELEASING AT PHYSICAL RETAIL WITH EXCLUSIVE DOUBLE-SIDED POSTER AND REVERSIBLE INLAY ON Nintendo Switch™ AND PLAYSTATION®4". Official Rising Star Games press release. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- "SteamWorld Dig 2 for Switch Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- "SteamWorld Dig 2 for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- "SteamWorld Dig 2 for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- Moyse, Chris (December 13, 2017). "Nominees for Destructoid's Best Portable Game of 2017". Destructoid. Retrieved February 17, 2018.
- "Best of 2017 Awards: Best Switch Game". IGN. December 20, 2017. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- "Best of 2017 Awards: Best Action-Adventure Game". IGN. December 20, 2017. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- "Nominee List for 2017". National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers. February 9, 2018. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- "Horizon wins 7; Mario GOTY". National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers. March 13, 2018. Retrieved March 14, 2018.
- Hoggins, Tom (September 24, 2018). "Golden Joysticks 2018 nominees announced, voting open now". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved October 7, 2018.
- Sheridan, Connor (November 16, 2018). "Golden Joystick Awards 2018 winners: God of War wins big but Fortnite gets Victory Royale". GamesRadar+. Retrieved November 17, 2018.