|Developer(s)||Image & Form|
Image & Form|
|Composer(s)||Steam Powered Giraffe|
|Platform(s)||Nintendo 3DS, Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, iOS|
PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita
|Genre(s)||Turn-based strategy, action-adventure|
SteamWorld Heist is a turn-based strategy shooter developed by Swedish video game developer Image & Form. The third installment of the SteamWorld series and the sequel to SteamWorld Dig, SteamWorld Heist has the player control Captain Piper Faraday, a smuggler and occasional pirate, as she recruits a ragtag team of robots and sets out on a space adventure. The objective of the game is for players to board, loot, and shoot their way through enemy spaceships.
SteamWorld Heist was released on the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS in Europe, the Americas, Australia and New Zealand on December 10, 2015. It was released worldwide for Microsoft Windows, OS X and Linux through Steam on June 7, 2016, for the PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation Vita via the PlayStation Store on June 7, 2016 in North America and on June 8, 2016 in Europe and Australia. It was released both physically and digitally (through the Nintendo eShop) for the Wii U on September 30, 2016 in Europe and Australia and in North America on October 20, 2016. It was released worldwide on the iOS App store on November 9, 2016. On December 28, 2017, the game was released worldwide for the Nintendo Switch (via Nintendo eShop) under the subtitle Ultimate Edition.
SteamWorld Heist is a side-scrolling strategy game with focus on skill rather than chance. The core gameplay consists of recruiting a team of steam-driven robots, boarding enemy spaceships and taking down rivaling robot factions in turn-based shootouts. A majority of the game's levels are procedurally generated.
In battle, the player controls the aiming of all firearms and can bounce bullets off the environment for ricocheting trick shots. As the game progresses, players can upgrade and customize their robot crew with different abilities, weapons, and hats. Some weapons are equipped with laser sights to assist the player with the free aiming.
The game has over 100 different weapons and almost 100 hats to collect. These can be found as treasure during missions or bought in designated shops. Hats are primarily obtained by shooting them off opponents' heads and collecting them.
The game's official soundtrack, Music From SteamWorld Heist, is composed and recorded by the steampunk band Steam Powered Giraffe. The band members appear as robots in different bars throughout the game while performing songs from the soundtrack.
The first downloadable content pack, called The Outsider, was showcased at the Penny Arcade Expo in early April 2016 and was released on April 28, 2016 for the Nintendo 3DS. When Image & Form announced the release date of SteamWorld Heist for the PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation Vita, the company confirmed that The Outsider would release for those systems on the same date as the full game. It was also available for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux on release. The Outsider was included on disc in the Wii U and PS4 retail editions of the game. The Outsider was included within the Nintendo Switch's Ultimate Edition port of the game.
This section may be in need of reorganization to comply with Wikipedia's layout guidelines. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 9.5/10 - Nintendo World Report: "The definitive Nintendo 3DS game of 2015 is here. No joke." 
- 9/10 - Nintendo Life: "Excellent." 
- 8.8 - IGN: "SteamWorld Heist stole my heart." 
- 8.5/10 - Destructoid: "Everyone can find something they’ll like." 
- 5/5 - US Gamer: "I loved SteamWorld Heist and I think everyone should play it." 
- 5/5 - Daily Mirror: "As much a work of art as a video-game." 
- 4/5 - Hardcore Gamer: "SteamWorld Heist exudes charm and goodwill." 
- The retail edition of the Wii U version was published by Rising Star Games in North America and by Nintendo in Europe.
- Image & Form (2015-09-10), The SteamWorld Timeline – The Engine Room #1, retrieved 2016-02-02
- "SteamWorld Heist Hits Steam and PS4/Vita on June 7th". Image & Form. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- Olney, Alex (December 12, 2017). "SteamWorld Heist: Ultimate Edition Storms onto Nintendo Switch This Year". Nintendo Life. Retrieved February 4, 2018.
- "What's next for Image & Form?". Image & Form. 2016-11-23. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- "Hands On: Reaching the Depths of Space in SteamWorld Heist". Nintendo Life. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "Video: Check Out This Explanation of How Steamworld Heist Plays". Nintendo Life. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "SteamWorld Heist Will Have Over 100 Weapons and Nearly 100 Hats". Nintendo Life. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "SteamWorld Heist – Official Website | Image & Form Games". Image & Form Games. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "Steam Powered Giraffe | Official Website of Steam Powered Giraffe". steampoweredgiraffe.com. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- Guldbog, Julius. "Unveiling SteamWorld Heist HD & DLC At Pax East". Image & Form. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Brian. "SteamWorld Heist The Outsider DLC Launches Next Week". Nintendo Everything. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- Guldbog, Julius. "SteamWorld Heist Hits PS4 & PS Vita On May 31 + Giveaway". Image & Form. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "SteamWorld Heist". Metacritic. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "SteamWorld Heist Review - Review". Nintendo World Report. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "Review: SteamWorld Heist (3DS eShop)". Nintendo Life. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- SteamWorld Heist Review - IGN Video, retrieved 2015-12-15
- "Review: SteamWorld Heist". Destructoid. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "SteamWorld Heist 3DS Review: A Gem of a Tactics Game". USgamer.net. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "Steamworld Heist review: as much a work of art as a video-game". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "Review: SteamWorld Heist". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 2015-12-27.