Steam (Peter Gabriel song)
|Single by Peter Gabriel|
|from the album Us|
|Released||5 January 1993|
|Format||7", 12", CD Single, Cassette|
|Producer(s)||Daniel Lanois, Peter Gabriel|
|Peter Gabriel singles chronology|
"Steam" is the second single from English rock musician Peter Gabriel's 1992 album Us. It reached number 10 on the UK singles chart, #32 on the Billboard Hot 100, and number 1 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart.
Peter Gabriel has said that the song is about a relationship in which the woman is sophisticated, bright, cultured, and knows everything about anything and that the man knows nothing about anything, except, he does know about the woman, and she doesn't know much about herself.
An alternate version of this song called "Quiet Steam" was a B-side on the "Digging in the Dirt" single. It is a very lo-fi take on the popular version that appeared on the album. On Secret World Live, "Steam" is preceded for a minute or so by the "Quiet Steam" version.
The video for "Steam" was directed by Stephen R. Johnson, who also directed the videos for Gabriel's earlier hits "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time." The director said he wanted to cram the video with as many "things" as possible. The video features digital imagery and numerous instances of sexual symbolism.
- "Steam (LP version)" – 6:02
- "Games Without Frontiers (Massive / DB mix)" – 5:19
- "Steam (Oh, Oh, Let Off Steam mix 12")" – 6:44
- "Steam (Oh, Oh, Let Off Steam mix dub)" – 5:44
- Peter Gabriel
- Daniel Lanois
- Massive Attack / David Bottrill (remix and extra production on "Games without Frontiers")
- Hank Shocklee and The Bomb Squad (remix on "Oh, Oh, Let Off Steam" versions)
- Peter Gabriel: vocals, keyboards, percussion, horn arrangement
- Manu Katche: electronic drums
- Tony Levin: bass
- David Rhodes: guitar
- Daniel Lanois: horn arrangement
- David Bottrill: programming
- Richard Blair: programming
- The Babacar Faye Drummers: Sabar drums
- Leon Nocentelli: guitar (Epiphone)
- Tim Green: tenor sax
- Reggie Houston: baritone sax
- Wayne Jackson: trumpet
- Renard Poche: trombone
- Randall, Mac (10 July 2002). "Gabriel, Beck and Miller Struggle With Gravity". The New York Observer. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- All About us video compilation, Peter Gabriel, 1993 (VHS format only)
- All about... us header Steam
- "Peter Gabriel, "Steam"". Pop-Up Video. VH1. Retrieved 2014-11-12.
- McDonald, Steven. "Steam - Peter Gabriel". Allmusic. Retrieved February 29, 2012.