Steam Brewing Company
Steam Brewing Company is a microbrewery located in Otahuhu, Auckland. It was founded in October 1995 as the brewery for the Cock & Bull brewpub in East Tamaki and currently brews beers for the Cock & Bull chain of taverns, as well as the retail beer Epic Pale Ale and several contracted beers including TaaKawa Ale. and previously (till March 2005) the bottled beers for the Loaded Hog pub chain.
The original East Tamaki location was decommissioned in September 2004, and by 2005, Cock & Bull had opened a chain of five taverns. In August 2004, Steam Brewing Company purchased Auckland Breweries to meet increased production demands. This new site contained a 200 bottle per minute glass packaging line, able to fill beer, juice, cider, energy drinks, RTDs and other cold beverages.
October 2007, Steam Brewing Company sold[better source needed] the Epic Brewing Company and Epic brand to then Head Brewer / General Manager, Luke Nicholas. The Epic beers continue to be brewed by Steam Brewing Company.
Cock & Bull Pubs
There are four Cock & Bull pubs located in Auckland and one in Hamilton.
Steam Brewing Company supplies tap beer for Foundation Bar & Restaurant in Hamilton and Szimpla Bar & Gastro at Auckland Airport under the Steam Brewing name.
Steam Brewing Company's beers have won numerous awards in New Zealand and Australia. Monk's Habit was judged best in class at the 2005 Australian International Beer Awards, and won the Supreme Champion award at the 1999 and 2001 New Zealand International Beer Awards. Epic Pale Ale was named Supreme Winner at the 2006 New Zealand International Beer Awards.
- "TaaKawa Information". waitunabrewing.co.nz. Retrieved 13 December 2006.
- Chapple, Irene (1 September 2004). "Boutique brews going retail". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 7 December 2006.
- "RealBeer.co.nz Forum (forum post)". RealBeer.co.nz Forum. 22 October 2007. Archived from the original on 14 October 2008. Retrieved 22 October 2007.
- "2005 Australian International Beer Awards" (PDF). The Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria Limited. Retrieved 7 December 2006.
- "NZ International Beer Awards 2006". NZ Beer Awards. Archived from the original on 14 October 2006. Retrieved 7 December 2006.