Cover of Issue 3 of SteamPunk Magazine
|Publisher||Strangers in a Tangled Wilderness
Vagrants Among Ruins
|First issue||March 3, 2007|
SteamPunk Magazine is an online and print semi-annual magazine devoted to the steampunk subculture. It is published under a Creative Commons license, and is free for download. In March 2008, SteamPunk Magazine began offering free subscriptions to incarcerated Americans, as a "celebration" of 1% of the US population being eligible.
SteamPunk Magazine was formerly published by anarchist zine publisher Strangers in a Tangled Wilderness in the United States and by Vagrants Among Ruins in the United Kingdom. The magazine is currently published by the worker-run Combustion Books in New York City and distributed by AK Press.
Reception and recognition
- Two of the editors, Magpie Killjoy and Libby Bulloff, were at the 2008 Maker Faire in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- The popular blog Boing Boing has also announced every Steampunk Magazine release to date, including their Steampunk's Guide To The Apocalypse.
- SteamPunk Magazine was mentioned in a Newsweek article discussing the steampunk movement as an example of a steampunk periodical
- An article in The Yale Herald uses SteamPunk Magazine as an example of microcultures and their ability to thrive on the Internet.
Putting the Punk Back into Steampunk
- Author Michael Moorcock
- The Original Steampunk Band, Abney Park
- Singer/Songwriter Thomas Truax
- Composer Darcy James Argue
A Journal of Misapplied Technology
The Sky is Falling
Our Lives as Fantastic as any Fiction
Long Live Steampunk!
- Musician Voltaire
The Pre-Industrial Revolution
- Articles on race and steampunk as well as the future of steampunk fashion
- Interviews with Sunday Driver and The Men That Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing
- Instructions for making laudanum and a lexicon of 19th century New York City slang
- Interview with Unwoman
- "Putting the Punk back into SteamPunk". SteamPunk Magazine. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "1 in 100 US adults now eligible for free SteamPunk subscription!". SteamPunk Magazine. 2008-02-28. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". SteamPunk Magazine. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Branwyn, Gareth (29 April 2008). "Steampunk Magazine at Maker Faire". Make:. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Doctorow, Cory (3 March 2007). "Steampunk magazine". Boing Boing. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Doctorow, Cory (31 May 2007). "Steampunk Magazine #2". Boing Boing. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Doctorow, Cory (24 September 2007). "Steampunk Magazine #3". Boing Boing. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Doctorow, Cory (26 February 2008). "Steampunk Magazine issue 4". Boing Boing. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Doctorow, Cory (11 October 2007). "Steampunk's Guide to Surviving the Apocalypse". Boing Boing. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Braiker, Brian (30 October 2007). "Steampunking Technology". Newsweek. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Does virtual narrowcasting create narrow minds?[dead link]