Location in North Holland
|Established||1 January 1979|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Marian Goldschmeding (PvdA)|
|• Total||16.37 km2 (6.32 sq mi)|
|• Land||14.63 km2 (5.65 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.74 km2 (0.67 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−1 m (−3 ft)|
|Population (August 2017)|
|• Density||1,475/km2 (3,820/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Stede Broec ( pronunciation (help·info))(West Frisian: Stee Broek) is a municipality in the Netherlands, in the province of North Holland and the region of West-Frisia. The name Stede Broec derives from "stede" (meaning city) and "broec" (meaning swamp).
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Stede Broec, June 2015
Grootebroek and Bovenkarspel together received city rights in 1364, under the name of Broek. In 1402 Lutjebroek shared in the city rights and Hoogkarspel joined in 1403. Andijk was the fifth to join in 1786. In 1825 the city was dissociated.
Stede Broec is located in the region of West Friesland consisting of all the land surrounded by the Westfriese Omringdijk, a dike which then protected the land against the dangers of the tides of the Zuider Zee.
The municipal council of Stede Broec consists of 19 seats, which are divided as follows (as of March 3rd 2010):
- CDA - 5 seats
- Open en Duidelijk Stede Broec - 4 seats
- PvdA/GroenLinks - 3 seats
- Gemeentebelangen - 2 seats
- Onafhankelijke Partij - 2 seats
- VVD - 2 seats
- "Portefeuilleverdeling College" [Tasks division of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Stede Broec. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 1611KW". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.