|Birth name||Stefan Pasborg|
|Born||6 December 1974|
|Genres||Improvised music, Jazz, Funk|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, drummer, Composer, percussionist|
|Associated acts||Pasborgs Odessa 5, Ibrahim Electric, Delirium, Fra De Varme Lande, Carsten Dahl|
In 2004 he was voted "New Name of The Year" at the Danish Music Award Jazz 2004 and his release Toxikum was voted Jazz Discovery of the Year. Danish Music Awards Jazz is being given each year by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.
He has performed and recorded with many international recording artists such as John Tchicai, Miroslav Vitous, Ellery Eskelin, Tim Berne, Palle Danielsson, Marc Ducret, Anders Jormin, Michael Formanek, Tomasz Stanko, Carsten Dahl, Jesper Zeuthen, Ray Anderson, Alex Riel, Mikko Innanen and Lotte Anker are among others. Pasborg has toured the most of Europe, US and Asia as a leader, also as a sideman. His latest CD was named one of the "Best Debut Albums of 2007" All About Jazz-New York Best of 2007 New York
Pasborg was already behind the drums at the age of three. He received a present, a drumset it was, from a close friend of his parents who happened to be an acclaimed Danish drummer, namely Alex Riel which also became Pasborg's first drum teacher. In later years, while kept playing, he decided to attend prestigious Copenhagen Jazz Conservatory where the teachers were among others internationally respected Jazz performers such as Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Ed Thigpen, Horace Parlan and Atilla Engin to name few. During his studies at the conservatory, he met other young musicians, thirteen of them, which they together formed an independent record label called ILK Music.
Photos: Hreinn Gudlaugsson
|John Kelman (All About Jazz, USA) said about Pasborg:
"Percussionist Stefan Pasborg is a young Dane who has, in the past several years, studied with artists including Joey Baron, Jim Black and Daniel Humair—and given his experience, it is no surprise that his playing is daring, although it sometimes seems barely on the edge of sanity. But through it all he demonstrates a strong command of the kit; even at its most crazed this is no random bashing." All About Jazz, John Kelman review of Toxikum, published March 25, 2004
- Danish Music Awards Jazz 2004 "New Name Of The Year"
- Jazz Discovery of the Year 2004 for the album Toxikum released by Pasborg.
Both awards were given by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).
- Danish Music Awards Jazz 2011 for Pasborg’s Odessa 5: X-tra Large (category: Best Danish Cross-over Jazz Release of the Year)
- Delirium co-led with Finnish saxophonist Mikko Innanen, Fiasko Records - 2002 Finland
- Toxikum co-led with Lithuanian saxophonist Liudas Mockunas with among others Marc Ducret and John Tchicai, ILK Music - 2003 Denmark
- Ibrahim Electric co-led with Danish guitarist Niclas Knudsen and Danish Hammond-organist Jeppe Tuxen, ILK Music - 2004 Denmark
- Ibrahim Electric Meets Ray Anderson by Ibrahim Electric featuring American trombonist Ray Anderson, Stunt Records - 2005 Denmark
- Fra De Varme Lande, co-led with Danish guitarist Niclas Knudsen, Danish accordionist Anders Vesterdahl and Danish sousaphonist Jakob Munck, ILK Music - 2006 Denmark
- Absinthe by Ibrahim Electric, Stunt Records - 2006 Denmark
- Ibrahim Electric Meets Ray Anderson - Again by Ibrahim Electric featuring American trombonist Ray Anderson Stunt Records - 2007 Denmark
- Triplepoint with among others Marc Ducret, John Tchicai, Ray Anderson and Ellery Eskelin, ILK Music - 2007 Denmark
- Pasborg's Odessa, Stunt Records 2008 Denmark
- Brothers of Utopia by Ibrahim Electric, Target Records - 2008 Denmark
- Royal Air Maroc by Ibrahim Electric, Target Records - 2010 Denmark
- X-tra large by Pasborg's Odessa 5, Stunt Records - 2010 Denmark
- Free Moby Dick, ILK Music - 2012 Danmark
- Drumfaces with Alex Riel, Stunt Records - 2013 Denmark
- Live at SMK with Carsten Dahl, ILK Music - 2014 Danmark
- The Firebirds, ILK Music - 2015 Danmark
- Blood Motions Rent Romus' Life's Blood Trio, Jazzheads, 1998 USA
- Naked? by MadsOle Quartet, Cope Records - 2002 Denmark
- Live/Studio Recordings by Endorfin, TCB - 2003 Denmark
- Smash The Tomatoes MS4, ILK Music - 2007 Denmark
- Kibrick 5:2 by Marc Bernstein, Gateway - 2007 Denmark
- The Poetic Principle with Koppel, Vitous, Koppel, and Dahl, Cowbell Music - 2008 Denmark
- East African Prayer Meeting Suite/Nordic Suite by Jonas Müller, ILK Music - 2008 Denmark
- RPM by Rod Planet, with Liudas Mockunas and Jakob Riis, ILK Records - 2008 Denmark
- Vélo Vélo by Jakob Davidsen and Peter Fuglsang, Gateway Records - 2008 Denmark
- Grønland by Mark O'Leary, Aucourant Records - 2009 USA
- Humilitas Carsten Dahl Experience, Storyville Records - 2010 Denmark
- Støj, with Mark O'Leary and Peter Friis-Nielsen, Ayler Records – 2011 France
- DUO with, Dawda Jobarteh, ILK Music - 2016 Danmark
- Pasborg's Label ILK Allmusic
- Pasborg Winning Danish Music Awards Jazz 2004 Danish National Radio publication
- Danish Music Info Stefan Pasborg By Godsk Hansen, published in 2007
- Pasborg Winning The Jazz Prize 2004 Stefan Pasborg info from Jazz Denmark
- "All About Jazz-New York Best of 2007". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- "John Kelman Review of Pasborg's Toxicum". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- "Pasborg Winning Two Awards in 2004". Danish Music Info. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- "Danish Music Awards Jazz 2011". JazzDanmark, Copenhagen. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- Allmusic Album Info About Pasborg
- Pasborg's Odessa st Artist direct
- "Stefan Pasborg". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stefan Pasborg.|