November 7, 1957 |
|Education||University of Augsburg|
|Occupation||Airline executive and tourism manager and CEO of Air Berlin|
Stefan Pichler is a German airline executive and tourism manager. He is the Managing Director and CEO of Air Berlin. Previously, Pichler served as CEO of Jazeera Airways, Chairman and CEO of Thomas Cook AG and Chairman of the Bundesverband der Deutschen Tourismuswirtschaft, as well as Managing Director of Fiji Airways Additionally, he has held Senior and Executive Board roles at Virgin Australia and Lufthansa.
Early life and education
In 1983, Pichler began his career as Head of Sport Promotions for Nike in Beaverton, Oregon. Pichler became the Marketing and Sales Director of France for Lufthansa in 1989. In 1991, Lufthansa appointed Pichler Managing Director for Lufthansa France, based in Paris. He was promoted to Head of Worldwide Sales for Lufthansa in 1996 and appointment as a member of Lufthansa's Executive Board the following year. In January 2000, Pichler was appointed CEO of Thomas Cook AG, a national tour operator. He helped develop the company to the world's second largest leisure group.
Focus ranked Pichler number one on its list of the "Top 30 Tourism Managers" in 2003 for the third consecutive year. The following year he was appointed Chief Commercial Officer and Chairman of Virgin Australia. In 2009, Pichler joined Jazeera Airways as CEO. In 2011, the airline's operating profit margin was the second highest in the global airline industry (25.6%) and in 2012, the margin was 30.2%. He received the "Personal Achievement of the Year Award" at the Aviation Business Awards for making the airline profitable in 2012. In September 2013, Pichler was appointed Managing Director and CEO of Fiji Airways. He was promoted to Chairman of Tourism Fiji in August 2014.
Additionally, Pichler served as a member of the Board of Tourism Australia and held roles at the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) and the Tourism Working Group of the World Economic Forum. He has also held non-executive director of major German corporations including Deutsche Bank and Steigenberger Hotels.
In November 2014, Air Berlin appointed Pichler CEO effective February 2015. With the support of Etihad Airways, Pichler developed a strategic restructuring plan which resulted in dividing the company into 3 separate business units: the first unit was to provide 40 aircraft to Lufthansa Group per wet lease agreement. the second unit, the touristic business including the Austrian daughter company Niki, was sold to Etihad Airways who invested this stake into a joint venture with TUI Group. And the third unit, New Airberlin, was redesigned to become a network carrier serving the hubs in Duesseldorf and Berlin. All those deals were concluded in December 2016 and enabled a new start for airberlin which had lost over 3 billion Euros in the last 10 years.
Also in December 2016, he announced his resignation as CEO of Air Berlin for January 31, 2017. 
- "Stefan Pichler Leads Fiji Airways". September 6, 2013. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Virgin Blue Appoints Stefan Pichler as CCO". October 13, 2004. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Rüdiger Kiani-Kreß (November 10, 2014). "So tickt der neue Air-Berlin-Chef". Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Richard Weiss (November 3, 2014). "Air Berlin Lures Ex-Lufthansa Manager Pichler From Fiji as Chief". Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Frank-Thomas Wenzel (November 4, 2014). "Stefan Pichler wird neuer Air-Berlin-Chef". Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Grant Bradley (September 25, 2013). "Marathon run for new Fiji Airways chief". Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Ernst August Ginten (November 3, 2014). "Neuer Air-Berlin-Chef übernimmt Schleudersitz". Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Lufthansa". February 26, 1997. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Die Top 30 Tourismus-Manager". March 10, 2003. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Fiji Airways' new MD Stefan Pichler sets his sights on the next five years for the rebranded airline". September 19, 2013. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Ruchi Shroff (November 8, 2012). "Etihad and flydubai win big at Aviation Business Awards 2012". Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Pichler's Strategy". October 2013. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Anne Majumdar (August 20, 2014). "Tourism Fiji to expand reach with Pichler as chairman". Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Stefan Pichler Announced as New Chair of Tourism Fiji". August 21, 2014. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Stefan Pichler appointed CEO of airberlin group". November 3, 2014. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Congratulations to Stefan Pichler, currently Managing Director of GAC member Fiji Airways". November 4, 2014. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Air-Berlin-Chef tritt ab - Lufthansa-Manager übernimmt" (in German). 18 December 2016. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- Stefan Eiselin (November 3, 2014). "Air Berlin holt Marathon-Mann". Retrieved December 14, 2014.