|Born||1965 (age 49–50)
Milan, Lombardy, Italy
|Known for||Head designer for Yves Saint Laurent fashion house (2004-2012)
Head designer for Ermenegildo Zegna and creative director of AGNONA (2012-2015).
Stefano Pilati (born 1965 in Milan) is an Italian fashion designer. From 2004 until 2012, he was the head designer of the fashion house Yves Saint Laurent. In late 2012 he left and became head of design at Ermenegildo Zegna.
Having seen his hometown grow into a fashion hotspot in the 1980s, Pilati gave up his course in environmental design and joined the fashion house Cerruti as an intern. He thus decided to embrace Milan's fashion scene and set out to learn everything there was to know about ready-to-wear apparel materials and production. A velvet manufacturer offered him his first job. A few months later, Pilati was designing that company's entire collection, and presenting it to Europe's leading ready-to-wear names.
The fashion house Giorgio Armani hired him as an assistant in its men's ready-to-wear department in 1993, and the fashion house Prada asked Pilati to run its fabric research and development in 1995.
In 2000, Pilati joined fashion house Yves Saint Laurent to run its ready-to-wear clothing design; he became head designer in 2004, replacing Tom Ford who had started his own brand. During his tenure as head designer, Pilati was responsible for creating fashion staples such as the tulip skirt, as well as extremely successful accessories such as the Muse bag, and the YSL Tribute sandal.
In 2012, on the 27th of February, Pilati left Yves Saint Laurent as the creative director which is a position he had held since 2004. Pilati signed on at Ermenegildo Zegna nine months later, becoming the head of design at Ermenegildo Zegna and creative director of Agnona, and he oversees Zegna's fashion show and the couture collection. Of the break, he said: "I did take nine months off — at least physically speaking — which allowed me to think about the possibilities while planning my new life, to plan ahead in a broader way, without an immediate deadline."
Pilati was creative director of AGNONA from 2012-2015.
- Vogue. "Stefano Pilati Biography". Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Stefano Pilati - fashion design". fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Stefano Pilati". vogue.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Cowles, Charlotte. "Stefano Pilati Out at YSL". The Cut.
- Cowles, Charlotte. "Stefano Pilati Out at YSL". nymag.com.
- Cowles, Charlotte (10/11/13). "Stefano Pilati Talks YSL, But Very Cautiously". nymag.com. Retrieved 2014-04-19. Check date values in:
- van Hoorn Alkema, Venetia (1 June 2011). "Who's Who: Stefano Pilati". Vogue.
- LUISA ZARGANI Stefano Pilati Exits Agnona, Remains at Zegna Women's Wear Daily July 10, 2015
|This biographical article related to fashion is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Italian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|