Stefano Quintarelli (born 14 June 1965) is an Italian IT specialist.  and a descendant of the Italian writer Emilio Salgari. He was a member of the Italian Parliament in the XVII legislature, as part of the Civics and Innovators group.
He was a member of telecommunications and transport commission in Italian Parliament during the XVII Legislature and is President of AGID (Government agency for digital Italy)
He is a founder and he was director of CLUSIT (Italian association of internet and IT security) and he was president of AIIP, the Italian internet provider association.
A former professor of computer security, author of several articles and books on Internet and its impacts on society and the economy, and curator of scientific seminars on technology for the italian financial community.
In 2015 he formally defined the concept of Device Neutrality and proposed a bill to enforce it in Italy. The bill was stopped at the final vote at the Senate in 2017, after many successful votes at the Chamber of Deputies and through all Senate committees, thanks to lobbying efforts by some multinational device manufaturers and telecom operators . The law has since gained formal support at the European Commission by BEUC, the European Consumer Organisation, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the Hermes Center for Transparency and digital human rights. A law with identic principles has been passed in South Korea and the French telecoms regulator ARCEP has called for the introduction of Device Neutrality in Europe..
He theorized the Internet as a dimension of existence, in which social and economic relations are created and developed and the emergence of a new class conflict between intermediaries and intermediated that surrounds and dominates the traditional conflict between capitalists and proletarians, thus introducing in addition to the traditional categories of capital and labor, the information category which is controlled by a small number of info-plutocrats.
He sits in the Board of trustees of Nexa Center for Internet and Society, is a member of the Leadership Council of the Sustainable Development Solutions Network for the United Nations and is a member of the High-Level Expert Group on Artificial Intelligence of the European Commission.
- "Facebook and the Future of Online Privacy". project-syndicate.org. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Chi è Stefano Quintarelli?". fanpage.it. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Stefano Quintarelli". identity-tower.com. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Muore a 88 anni di età il «profe» Quintarelli" (in Italian). Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Camera.it - XVII Legislatura - Deputati e Organi - Scheda deputato - QUINTARELLI Giuseppe Stefano". www.camera.it (in Italian). Camera dei Deputati. 2015-11-18. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- "Poggiani è dg Agid, Quintarelli presidente del Comitato d'indirizzo - CorCom". corrierecomunicazioni.it. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-16. Retrieved 2014-08-19.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "24 ORE GROUP: STEFANO QUINTARELLI NEW DIRECTOR DIGITAL AREA" (PDF). ilsole24ore.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "After Net Neutrality, Device Neutrality". hermescenter.org. 4 December 2017. Archived from the original on 2 January 2018. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Draft law laying down measures concerning the provision of Internet services for the protection of competition and freedom of access for users (under 'Contributions')". ec.europa.eu. 25 January 2018. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Amended Enforcement Decree of the Telecommunications Business Act Now Effective". kimchang.com. 20 July 2017. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Regulator slams devices as weak link for net neutrality". mobileworldlive.com. 16 February 2018. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- On Rights and Competition
- "Intermediati digitali, unitevi". Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Presidential nomination decree" (PDF). agid.gov.it. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- "Nexa Board of Trustees - Nexa Center for Internet & Society". nexa.polito.it. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- "Sustainable Development Solutions Network Leadership Council". www.unsdsn.org. UNSDSN. 2017-09-03. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- "High-Level Group on Artificial Intelligence". Digital Single Market. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
|This business-related Italian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|