Kapino with Greece U19 in 2012
|Full name||Stefanos Kapino|
|Date of birth||18 March 1994|
|Place of birth||Piraeus, Greece|
|Height||1.96 m (6 ft 5 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15 July 2015.
Stefan began playing football in the youth system of the amateur club Aetos based in Korydallos, Piraeus. Although he was firstly approached by Olympiakos scouts, and even trained with the team for two and a half months, Panathinaikos were the ones to secure his signature in June 2007 for a fee of €17,000. At Panathinaikos, he gradually established himself as a member of the starting lineup for the club's under-18 and under-21 teams.
On 17 September 2011, during a Superleague match vs. Atromitos, he made his debut for the men's team, coming in as a substitute after his teammate Orestis Karnezis was sent off. With that appearance, he became the youngest goalkeeper to ever play for Panathinaikos, at the age of 17 years, 6 months and 9 days.
Relegated to the bench initially, the balance of the match is suddenly upset when his teammate Orestis Karnezis was sent off. Therefore, the highly anticipated moment arrives for Kapino making his debut among the pros. The boy does not seem to suffer emotion, immediately taking courage through a series of parades that allow you to gain confidence and familiarity between the posts. Although affected by the network of hosts by Kostas Mitroglou, the game is balanced out by its thanks to the draw of Sebastian Leto four minutes from time. After this, his first convincing performance, Jesualdo Ferreira gives him confidence again for another eleven races considering the various vicissitudes (the sale of Alexandros Tzorvas to Palermo's injury and the suspension Stefanos Kotsolis), scoring a total of 12 appearances in the Greek Super League.
The next season (2012/13) was a catastrophe for Panathinaikos as four coaches exchange rates during the year, after finishing sixth in the league sadly. The passing of the baton on the bench of the greens between Jesualdo Ferreira, the Argentine Juan Ramon Rocha, Spanish Fabri and finally Giannis Vonortas did not offered the young keeper the possibility to perform in the League except only a presence in the league, the last to come home 3-2 win against Veria.
Kapino has been described by the media as a rising star and has attracted the attention of famous European clubs, such as Napoli, Inter Milan, Arsenal and Manchester United. More specifically, on summer 2013 Panathinaikos keeper Stefanos Kapino was close to Napoli. There were, however, some factors that have blasted the deal as reported reporters from Prasini newspaper and portal Pao World. Here's what they wrote: "Panathinaikos keeper Stefanos Kapino was very close to Napoli. The club was player's dream and recently the two clubs had reached an agreement for the transfer of the keeper in Campania paying €400,000 immediately and €2,000,000 the following year. After the agreement between the two teams, Benitez coach of Napoli tells the owners of the club that he needs a keeper with more experience."
The season 2013/14 proved to be the best season of the young keeper. He started as regular to most of the Greek Super League games and as a consequence was selected to the final team of the FIFA World Cup 2014.
FSV Mainz 05
FSV Mainz 05 have secured the services of Greek goalkeeper Stefanos Kapino from Greek club Panathinaikos. The Greek international has penned a four-year contract for €2.2 million with the Bundesliga side. The young keeper will compete for a place in the Mainz starting XI this season with current number one Loris Karius. "Stefanos Kapino is a very mobile and quick-reacting goalkeeper," Mainz coach Kasper Hjulmand said. "He may still be young, but he already has extraordinary composure and experience. With Loris, Stefanos and Robin, we now have three very young goalkeepers with a lot of potential in our squad." Stefanos Kapino made his German Bundesliga debut for FSV Mainz 05 on 7 February 2015 at home to Hertha as a 34th minute replacement for Christian Clemens after the starting goalkeeper Loris Karius was given a red card for a penalty on the last man.
According to SportDay newspaper FSV Mainz 05 have accepted a bid in the region of €2 million from Olympiakos for the former Panathinaikos keeper who will put pen to paper on a three-year deal, and after a year, will return to the Greek Super League.  Kapino joins Olympiakos in a move which could prove controversy among Panathinaikos fans as the player came through Panathinaikos academy.
On 15 November 2011, at the age of 17 years and 241 days, he made his debut for the men's national team in a friendly match against Romania, thus setting a new record for the youngest player ever to represent Greece at men's level.
- As of 22 March 2015 
|Club||Season||League||Cup||Champions League||Europa League||Total|
- As of 17 June 2015 
|Greece national team|
- "Stefanos Kapino profile". uefa.com.
- Livaniou, Savvas (19 September 2011). ""Είναι ένα όνειρο στα 17 σου" ("It is a dream for a 17-year-old")". Eleftherotypia (in Greek).
- Nikolopoulos, Nikos; Giamas, Tasos; Giannakoulopoulos Georgios (3 June 2007). "Από το Μίνι στην Παιανία (From "Mini" to Paiania)". Athlitiki Echo (in Greek). p. 20.
- ""Ο Ολυμπιακός τον είχε σίγουρο" ("Olympiakos had him for sure")" (in Greek). Gazzetta.gr. 22 November 2011.
- "Εχει το μπόι να σταθεί στο ύψος των περιστάσεων (Able to cope with expectations)" (in Greek). Ethnos. 21 November 2011.
- "Greece’s next goalkeeping hero: Stefanos Kapino". The Independent. 20 November 2011.
- Papantonopoulou, Vassiliki (4 November 2011). "Greece sizing up new UEFA EURO 2012 options". Athens: uefa.com.
- "Stefanos Kapino Panathinaikos, here is the identikit of the giant greek". iamnaples.it. 3 June 2013.
- "Το "φύγε εσύ-έλα εσύ" των προπονητών 2012-13". pas.gr.
- "Bakolias a TuttoNapoli: "Per Kapino al Napoli era tutto fatto, poi Benitez l'ha fatto saltare"" (in Italian). tuttonapoli.net. 19 July 2013.
- "Mainz sign Greek keeper Kapino". bundesliga.com. 16 July 2014.
- "1. FSV Mainz 05 verpflichtet griechischen Schlussmann Stefanos Kapino". ftbpro.com. 17 July 2014.
- "1. FSV Mainz accept Olympiakos bid for Kapino". www.sdna.gr. 15 July 2015.
- "Kapino undergoes Olympiakos medical". www.sdna.gr. 15 July 2015.
- "Romania end Greece's 17 match unbeaten run in friendly". The Guardian. 15 November 2011.
- "Stefanos Kapino profile". Soccerway. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- Stefanos Kapino at National-Football-Teams.com