|Member of the New Zealand Parliament
for Green party list
30 November 2011
|Born||3 July 1954|
|Parliament of New Zealand|
Browning is a member of the Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand. He was ranked 19th on their party list at the 2002 election, eleventh in 2005 and twelfth in 2008. He stood as the Greens candidate in the Kaikōura electorate.
Member of Parliament
Browning was placed in tenth place on the Green Party list for the 2011 election, when he was elected to Parliament, with the Greens gaining 14 seats. For the 2014 election, he was initially demoted to number 15, but was number 14 on the final list after twelfth-ranked Holly Walker subsequently withdrew from the list. The Greens again won 14 seats and Browning returned to parliament as their last MP from the party list. Based on preliminary election results, he would have missed out.
In November 2014 the Green Party stripped Browning of his natural health products portfolio, after he signed and shared an online petition supporting the use of homeopathy to treat Ebola virus disease. Party co-leader Metiria Turei described Browning's actions as "a mistake", and said that the portfolio change was designed to reassure the public that the Greens "take health issues seriously". Browning said he did not oppose homeopathy on a personal level.
Announcement that he would not contest the 2017 general election
- Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand. "Steffan Browning". Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- Soil & Health Association of New Zealand Inc. "Soil & Health Media Releases". Organic NZ. Archived from the original on 28 November 2011. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
- "2011 election candidates" (Press release). Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "2014 election candidates" (Press release). Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "Greens unveil party list for election". TVNZ. 25 May 2014. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "Green MP Holly Walker to step down from party list" (Press release). Green Party. Scoop. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- Rutherford, Hamish (4 October 2014). "National loses majority, Greens pick up one". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Provisional List of Successful Candidates -- 2014 General Election - Preliminary Results". Electoral Commission. 21 September 2014. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- Bell, Cathie (20 September 2014). "National's Stuart Smith wins Kaikoura". The Marlborough Express. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- Gulliver, A (30 October 2014). "PM says using homeopathy to treat Ebola is mad". Stuff.co.nz. Fairfax. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- Davison, I (4 November 2014). "MP demoted after suggesting homeopathy use in Ebola fight". The New Zealand Herald. APN. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- Crayton-Brown, B (4 November 2014). "MP loses portfolio over Ebola petition". Stuff.co.nz. Fairfax. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Green Party MPs Catherine Delahunty and Steffan Browning not seeking re-election". Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand. 15 December 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.