|Birth name||Steffanie Reiko Borges|
|Also known as||Steffanie, Stevany|
August 30, 1961 |
|Genres||Pop, glam metal, hard rock|
|Occupation(s)||musician, songwriter, model|
|Labels||Disco Mate, Warner, Creedence|
Steffanie Reiko Borges, best known in the years 1970–1980 under her stage name Steffanie (ステファニー) is a Japanese American born in 1961, who has worked both as model and singer.
Steffanie is the daughter of Hawaiian jazz singer Jimmy Borges and the Japanese Shizuko Yagi and she went to live in Honolulu, Hawaii soon after her birth. She began her working career in Japan as a model for advertising and TV campaigns. Borges started her singing career recording two singles in between 1977 and 1978 and an album of pop songs in 1978. In 1982, with the name Stevany she sang the theme for the soundtrack of the anime movie Andromeda Stories. During the 80s, she changed her image and musical style, switching over to hard rock and melodic heavy metal and producing two new solo albums recorded in Japan, which were released by Warner Japan. While the musicians that recorded the studio albums were all Japanese, the band accompanying her in various Japanese TV shows was composed by American performers, including her cousins Tony and David Borges and her future husband Randy Juergenson. In this period, she also worked on songs for the anime series Urusei Yatsura and for the movie Urusei Yatsura: Remember My Love.
After a few auditions in 1991, she replaced singer Keiko Terada within the all-female Japanese metal band Show-Ya, using her full name Steffanie Borges. She remained in the band for six years, performing a highly media covered concert in North Korea in June 1991 and recording with Show-Ya the single "Flame of the Angels" in 1992 and the album Touch the Sun in 1995. She left the band in 1996 and moved to Los Angeles in the United States with her husband Randy Juergenson, who had worked with her during the recording sessions of Touch the Sun. She has since retired from the scene and lives in Tarzana, California.
- Page One (ページ・ワン) (1978)
- Hideaway (1985)
- Pink Noise (1986)
Albums with Show-Ya
- Touch the Sun (1995)
- "Koi no Location" / "I'm a Lucky Girl" (恋のロケーション / アイム・ア・ラッキーガール) (1977)
- "Silhouette" / "Futari no Love Song" (シルエット / ふたりのラヴ・ソング) (1978)
- "Rock the Planet" / "Every Day" (1985)
- songs for the series Urusei Yatsura, episodes 150–165
- "Born to Be Free" / "Remember My Love" (1985)
- songs for the movie Urusei Yatsura: Remember My Love
- "Hideaway" / "Survival in the Streets" (1985)
- song for the Japanese TV drama Triangle Blue
- "Burnin' Up the Night" / "Breakout" (1986)
- song for the Japanese TV drama Triangle Blue 2
- "School's Out" / "Change of Heart" (1986)
- Alice Cooper cover
- "Flame of the Angels" / "Don't Say Goodbye" (1992)
- with Show-Ya
- "Steffanie Borges" (in Japanese). Livedoor Blog.jp. November 12, 2008. Retrieved March 25, 2010.
- "HARA Awards". Midweek.com. April 25, 2008. Retrieved March 25, 2010.
- "Steffanie". Encyclopaedia Metallum. Retrieved March 25, 2010.
- "Make It Tonight – Steffanie w/ Pink Noise (HD)". YouTube.com. February 28, 2010. Retrieved March 25, 2010.