Steg (video game)
|Developer(s)||Big Red Software|
Steg, also known as Steg the Slug, is a platform and puzzle video game. Steg was developed by Big Red Software and published by Codemasters in 1992 on a number of 8-bit and more modern 16-bit computers. Players control the titular slug who must traverse caverns in order to capture maggots in bubbles, then guide them to his starving young who wait in a nest.
Players control the titular slug and are tasked with feeding his young, referred to as "T'yungunz" (the young 'uns).
Steg's offspring occupy a nest at the top of a cavern, and must be fed with maggots. If the slugs are not fed in time, they die and are replaced by tombstones. Once all the young slugs are fed, Steg proceeds to the next cavern where another nest of young wait to be fed. Maggots roam the game's caverns and must be captured in the bubbles which Steg can blow in order to transport them. In order to blow bubbles the player must press and hold the fire button, which fills a meter. Once the meter is full, Steg blows a bubble when the fire button is released. Above the bubble blowing meter on the game screen is an energy bar which drains once the bubble meter is filled. Steg must hold his breath until the maggot is close enough to capture. Once encapsulated, the maggot can be blown to the nest by Steg, which involves avoiding hazards which can burst the bubble or harm Steg. Other objects such as trampolines can aid the player in jumping higher. Steg is invulnerable to damage but can suffocate if his breath is held for too long. To traverse levels he is able to jump and adhere to walls and ceilings, crawling up and down to visit the nest and locate maggots.
- Pelley, Rich (July 1992). "Game Reviews - Steg the Slug". Amiga Power. Future Publishing (15): 84.
- Barker, Linda (December 1992). "Reviews - Steg". Your Sinclair. Future Publishing (84): 15.
- Caswell, Mark (June 1992). "Reviews - Steg". Zzap!64. Europress (85): 12, 13.
- Dykes, Alan (June 1992). "Review - Steg". Sinclair User. EMAP (124): 20.
- Hickman, Lucy (April 1992). "Previews - Lettuce play! Steg". Crash. Newsfield Publications Ltd (98): 20.