|• Total||6.9 km2 (2.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||625 m (2,051 ft)|
|• Density||140/km2 (360/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Arth, Lauerz, Sattel, Steinen, Unterägeri (ZG), Zug (ZG)|
Steinerberg has an area, as of 2006[update], of 6.9 km2 (2.7 sq mi). Of this area, 62.7% is used for agricultural purposes, while 31.8% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 5.2% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.3%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Steinerberg has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 954. As of 2007[update], 6.3% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -3.5%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (95.1%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 1.3%) and Albanian being third ( 0.9%).
In Steinerberg about 61.5% of the population (between age 25-64) had completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Steinerberg has an unemployment rate of 0.73%. As of 2005[update], there were 122 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 45 businesses involved in this sector. 59 people were employed in the secondary sector and there were 13 businesses in this sector. 115 people were employed in the tertiary sector, with 14 businesses in this sector.
From the 2000 census[update], 719 or 80.2% were Roman Catholic, while 54 or 6.0% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there were 14 individuals (or about 1.56% of the population) who belonged to the Orthodox Church, and there were less than 5 individuals who belonged to another Christian church. There were 23 (or about 2.57% of the population) who were Islamic. There were less than 5 individuals who belonged to another church (not listed on the census), 44 (or about 4.91% of the population) belonged to no church, were agnostic or atheist, and 40 individuals (or about 4.46% of the population) did not answer the question.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Bilanz der ständigen Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Staatsangehörigkeit (Kategorie), Geschlecht und demographischen Komponenten". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 31-Aug-2009
- "STAT-TAB – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit" (online database) (official site) (in German and French). Neuchâtel, Switzerland: Federal Statistical Office - FSO. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- Canton Schwyz Statistics Archived 2011-06-09 at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 27 August 2009
- Steinerberg in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Steinerberg.|