Stellan Skarsgård at the 2017 Berlin Film Festival
Stellan John Skarsgård
13 June 1951
|Children||8, including Alexander, Gustaf, Bill and Valter|
Stellan John Skarsgård (/
Skarsgård was born in Gothenburg, Sweden, the son of Gudrun (née Larsson) and Jan Skarsgård. He moved often in his childhood and lived, amongst other places, in Helsingborg, Totebo, Kalmar, Marielund and Uppsala.
Skarsgård started his acting career early; and, by the age of 21, his experience in film, TV and stage was considerable. Most of his early roles were in Swedish television (such as Bombi Bitt) and films. Of Skarsgård’s work in Swedish film, he is perhaps best known for Good Evening, Mr. Wallenberg, where he portrays Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg, who worked to save Holocaust victims.
Skarsgård is particularly associated with director Lars von Trier and has appeared in six of the Danish auteur's features: The Kingdom, Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark, Dogville, Melancholia and Nymphomaniac. His most personal working relationship, however, is with Norwegian director Hans Petter Moland, who has directed the actor in Zero Kelvin, Aberdeen, In Order of Disappearance, and A Somewhat Gentle Man. Skarsgård considers Moland a close friend and, in 2009, he said of their relationship: "We're like an old married couple and I get separation anxiety." Another Scandinavian work that he is known for is the 1997 Norwegian film Insomnia, in which he plays the guilt-ridden policeman Jonas Engström.
Skarsgård’s first American film was the 1985 film Noon Wine, directed by Michael Fields, in which Skarsgård played a mentally-disturbed immigrant farmhand being chased by a bounty hunter. He acted opposite Fred Ward, who portrayed the farmer. In 1990, he starred in another American film, The Hunt for Red October, playing the character of Captain Tupolev, a Soviet submarine commander.
He was considered for the role of Oskar Schindler in Schindler's List. Skarsgård has said that people often mistook him for Liam Neeson, who portrayed Schindler in the film, and Skarsgård later replaced Neeson in the 2004 film Exorcist: The Beginning. He appeared as a guest star on the HBO TV Series Entourage, as Verner Vollstedt, the German director of the fictional film Smokejumpers, who has a bias against the main character Vincent Chase, one of the stars of the film. Skarsgård appeared as Bootstrap Bill Turner in both Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. In 2008, he starred as Bill Anderson in Universal Pictures' Mamma Mia! and reprised the role 10 years later in its sequel Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.
Skarsgård played Dr. Erik Selvig in Marvel's 2011 film Thor, and then reprised the role in the 2013 sequel Thor: The Dark World, as well as 2012's The Avengers and 2015's Avengers: Age of Ultron. Skarsgård reteamed with Thor director Kenneth Branagh for the 2015 film Cinderella, in which he played The Grand Duke. On 9 January 2018, it was announced that he will star as the villainous Vladimir Harkonnen in Dennis Villeneuve‘s upcoming Dune adaptation.
Skarsgård has also appeared in music videos alongside fellow Swedes. He was in Eva Dahlgren's "Vem Tänder stjärnorna" (Who Lights the Stars) in 2009 and Lykke Li's 2011 music video, "Sadness Is a Blessing".
He married My Skarsgård, a physician, in April 1975; together they have six children: Alexander (b. 1976), Gustaf (b. 1980), Sam (b. 1982), Bill (b. 1990), Eija (b. 1992), and Valter (b. 1995). Alexander, Gustaf, Bill, and Valter are also actors, while Eija is a former model. Skarsgård and My divorced in May 2007. Stellan married Megan Everett in January 2009. The couple has two sons together Ossian and Kolbjörn. Skarsgård has had a vasectomy, stating that he felt eight children was enough.
Views on religion
Skarsgård was brought up by humanist, atheist parents, and had an atheist grandfather and a deeply religious grandmother. According to Skarsgård, this never led to any problems because of the family's mutual respect for each other's opinions. After the September 11 attacks, Skarsgård set out to read the Bible and the Quran, both of which he condemns as violent. Skarsgård is also a critic of religious independent schools in the Swedish educational system. He has said he considers the notion of God absurd and that if a real God were actually so vain as to constantly demand worship, then he would not be worthy of it.
In 2009, Skarsgård, along with other non-religious artists, authors, and entrepreneurs including Christer Sturmark, Björn Ulvaeus, and Christer Fuglesang, wrote an article in Dagens Nyheter stressing the importance of secularity. The group also criticised the UN for its stance on blasphemy laws.
|1972||Strandhugg i somras||Erik|
|1973||Fem døgn i August||Christer|
|1974||Anita: Swedish Nymphet||Erik||Torgny Wickman|
|1975||Swedish Sex Games||Peter Delaney, their son||aka The Intruders and Let Us Play Sex|
|1977||Hemåt i natten||Kurt Sjöberg|
|1982||The Simple-Minded Murderer||Sven||Hans Alfredson|
|1983||P & B||Karl-Johan 'Charlie' Pettersson|
|1984||Åke och hans värld||Ebenholtz||Allan Edwall|
|1985||Falsk som vatten||Stig||Hans Alfredson|
|1985||Noon Wine||Olaf Helton||Michael Fields|
|1985||Peter-No-Tail in Americat||Pelle Swanson (voice)||Stig Lasseby
|1986||Ormens väg på hälleberget||Karl Orsa Markström||Bo Widerberg|
|1987||Jim & piraterna Blom||Gustav, Jim's Father||Also writer|
|1987||Hip hip hurra!||Peder Severin Krøyer||Kjell Grede|
|1988||The Unbearable Lightness of Being||The Engineer||Philip Kaufman|
|1988||Vargens tid||Peder Ulfstand|
|1988||The Perfect Murder||Axel Svensson||Zafar Hai|
|1989||S/Y Joy||Klas Larsson||Göran du Rées|
|1989||Täcknamn Coq Rouge||Carl Hamilton||Per Berglund|
|1989||Kvinnorna på taket||Willy||Carl-Gustav Nykvist|
|1990||The Hunt for Red October||Captain Viktor Tupolev||John McTiernan|
|1990||Good Evening, Mr. Wallenberg||Raoul Wallenberg||Kjell Grede|
|1991||The Ox||Helge Roos||Sven Nykvist|
|1992||Den Demokratiske Terroristen||Carl Hamilton|
|1992||Wind||Joe Heiser||Carroll Ballard|
|1993||The Slingshot||Fritiof Schütt||Åke Sandgren|
|1993||Sista dansen||Host in Norrköping|
|1995||Jönssonligans största kupp||Herman Melvin||Hans Åke Gabrielsson|
|1995||Zero Kelvin||Randbæk||Hans Petter Moland|
|1995||The Dogs of Riga||Magnus Björk||Per Berglund|
|1996||Harry och Sonja||Harry Olsson|
|1996||Breaking the Waves||Jan Nyman||Lars von Trier|
|1997||Insomnia||Jonas Engström||Erik Skjoldbjærg|
|1997||My Son the Fanatic||Schitz||Udayan Prasad|
|1997||Good Will Hunting||Prof. Gerald Lambeau||Gus Van Sant|
|1998||Glasblåsarns barn||Albert||Anders Grönros|
|1998||Savior||Peter Dominic||Predrag Antonijević|
|1999||Deep Blue Sea||Jim Whitlock||Renny Harlin|
|2000||Harlan County War||Warren Jakopovich||Tony Bill|
|2000||Passion of Mind||William Granther||Alain Berliner|
|2000||Signs & Wonders||Alec|
|2000||Timecode||Alex Green||Mike Figgis|
|2000||Dancer in the Dark||Doctor||Lars von Trier|
|2000||Aberdeen||Tomas||Hans Petter Moland||Also associate producer|
|2000||Kiss Kiss (Bang Bang)||Felix||Stewart Sugg|
|2001||Powder Keg||Harvey Jacobs||Alejandro González Iñárritu||Segment from the BMW short film series The Hire|
|2001||Taking Sides||Dr. Wilhelm Furtwängler||István Szabó|
|2001||The Glass House||Terrence 'Terry' Glass||Daniel Sackheim|
|2002||No Good Deed||Tyrone||Bob Rafelson|
|2002||City of Ghosts||Joseph Kaspar||Matt Dillon|
|2003||To Kill a Child||Narrator||Alexander Skarsgård||Short|
|2003||Dogville||Chuck||Lars von Trier|
|2004||King Arthur||Cerdic||Antoine Fuqua|
|2004||Exorcist: The Beginning||Father Lankester Merrin||Renny Harlin|
|2005||Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist||Father Lankester Merrin||Paul Schrader|
|2005||Beowulf & Grendel||Hrothgar||Sturla Gunnarsson|
|2005||Guilty Hearts||Stangl||George Gargurevich
|Segment: "Torte Bluma"|
|2006||Kill Your Darlings||Erik's Father||Björne Larson|
|2006||Goya's Ghosts||Francisco Goya||Miloš Forman|
|2006||Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest||Bootstrap Bill Turner||Gore Verbinski|
|2007||Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End||Bootstrap Bill Turner||Gore Verbinski|
|2007||The Killing Gene||Eddie Argo||Tom Shankland|
|2007||Arn – The Knight Templar||Birger Brosa||Peter Flinth|
|2008||Mamma Mia!||Bill Anderson||Phyllida Lloyd|
|2008||Arn – The Kingdom at Road's End||Birger Brosa||Peter Flinth|
|2009||Angels & Demons||Commander Maximilian Richter||Ron Howard|
|2009||Boogie Woogie||Bob Maccelstone||Duncan Ward|
|2009||Metropia||Ralph Parker||Tarik Saleh||Voice|
|2010||A Somewhat Gentle Man||Ulrik||Hans Petter Moland|
|2010||Frankie and Alice||Dr. Oz||Geoffrey Sax|
|2010||Moomins and the Comet Chase||Moominpapa / Hemulens||Maria Lindberg||Voices|
|2010||Submission||Narrator||Stefan Jarl||English version|
|2010||As If I Am Not There||Doctor||Juanita Wilson|
|2010||King of Devil's Island||Bestyreren||Marius Holst||Also executive producer|
|2011||Thor||Erik Selvig||Kenneth Branagh|
|2011||Melancholia||Jack||Lars von Trier|
|2011||The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo||Martin Vanger||David Fincher|
|2012||The Avengers||Erik Selvig||Joss Whedon|
|2013||Romeo and Juliet||Prince of Verona||Carlo Carlei|
|2013||The Railway Man||Finlay||Jonathan Teplitzky|
|2013||Nymphomaniac||Seligman||Lars von Trier|
|2013||The Physician||Barber||Philipp Stölzl|
|2013||Thor: The Dark World||Erik Selvig||Alan Taylor|
|2014||In Order of Disappearance||Nils||Hans Petter Moland||Also executive producer and stunt driver|
|2014||Hector and the Search for Happiness||Edward||Peter Chelsom|
|2015||Cinderella||The Grand Duke||Kenneth Branagh|
|2015||Avengers: Age of Ultron||Erik Selvig||Joss Whedon|
|2016||Our Kind of Traitor||Dima||Susanna White|
|2017||Return to Montauk||Max Frisch||Volker Schlöndorff|
|2017||Borg McEnroe||Lennart Bergelin||Janus Metz Pedersen|
|2017||Moomins and the Winter Wonderland||Moominpappa||Ira Carpelan
|2017||Gordon & Paddy||Gordon||Linda Hambäck||Voice|
|2018||The Man Who Killed Don Quixote||The Boss||Terry Gilliam|
|2018||Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again||Bill Anderson / Kurt||Ol Parker|
|2019||Out Stealing Horses||Trond||Hans Petter Moland|
|2020||Dune||Baron Vladimir Harkonnen||Denis Villeneuve||Filming|
|1968||Bombi Bitt och jag||Bombi Bitt||5 episodes|
|1981||Skärp dig, älskling||Georg||Episode: "Tack för igår"|
|1981||Babels hus||Dr. Mattsson||Episode: "Del 4"|
|1981||Olsson per sekund eller Det finns ingen anledning till oro||The tardy one||Television film|
|1983||Farmor och vår herre||Nathan||2 episodes|
|1985||Den tragiska historien om Hamlet - Prins av Danmark||Hamlet||Television film|
|1985||August Strindberg: Ett liv||Verner von Heidenstam||2 episodes|
|1989||The Wild Duck||Gregers Werle||Television film|
|1989||Förhöret||Carl Hamilton||Television film|
|1990||S*M*A*S*H||Statssekreteraren||Episode: "Wow, håll käften!"|
|1990||Parker Kane||Nathan Van Adams||Television film|
|1994||Rapport till himlen||Gary||4 episodes|
|1997||The Kingdom II||Stig Helmers advokat||Episode: "Gargantua"|
|2000||Harlan County War||Warren Jakopovich||Television film|
|2001||D-dag - Den færdige film||Lise's Mand||Television film|
|2003||Helen of Troy||Theseus||Television film|
|2008||Masterpiece Contemporary||Baumgarten||Episode: "God on Trial"|
|2008||Entourage||Verner Vollstedt||3 episodes|
|2010||Arn||Birger Brosa||6 episodes|
|2012||Rouge Brésil||Villegagnon||4 episodes|
|2012||Playhouse Presents||The Man||Episode: "The Man"|
|2014||Quarry||The Broker||Unaired pilot|
|2015||River||John River||6 episodes|
|2019||Chernobyl||Boris Shcherbina||5 episodes|
Awards and nominations
- ""Chernobyl" is on track to become the highest-rated TV series ever". The Economist. 3 June 2019. ISSN 0013-0613. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Stellan Skarsgaard Biography". Filmreference.com. Archived from the original on 8 January 2010. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Thyselius, Erik; Lindblad, Göran (1999). Vem är det?: Svensk biografisk handbok: Volume 44. Norstedt. p. 1004.
- "Hollywood's Lonely Hero". Stellanonline.com. Archived from the original on 22 January 2009. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "Stellan Skarsgard (Bootstrap Bill) Biography". Starsontop.com. 13 January 2007. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Gross, Larry (1998). "Stellan Skarsgård". BOMB Magazine. Archived from the original on 5 August 2011. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- Stiller opp for Moland Archived 26 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine www.dagsavisen.no
- Brad Brevet (10 December 2012). "RopeofSilicon Movie Club: 'Insomnia' (1997)". Rope of Silicon. RopeofSilicon.com LLC. Archived from the original on 15 December 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Mike Ryan (21 December 2011). "Stellan Skarsgard on 'Dragon Tattoo', Not Being Satisfied with 'The Avengers' and His 'Good Will Hunting' Scarf". Moviefone. Aol Inc. Archived from the original on 15 December 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Rappe, Elisabeth (5 October 2009). "Stellan Skarsgard Joins 'Thor'". Cinematical. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 5 October 2009.
- Stellan Skarsgard in Talks to Join 'Cinderella' (Exclusive) Archived 25 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine Hollywood Reporter, Retrieved July 12, 2013
- Kit, Borys (9 January 2019). "Stellan Skarsgard to Play Villain in Legendary's Dune". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- Dahlgren, Eva (2009). "Vem Tänder stjärnorna". www.youtube.com. VEVO. Archived from the original on 16 April 2016. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Lykke Li (26 April 2011). "Lykke Li - 'Sadness Is a Blessing' (Director Tarik Saleh)" (Video upload). YouTube. Google Inc. Archived from the original on 10 January 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Behdjou, Behrang. "My Skarsgård: "Till slut handlade det om att välja livet eller döden"". Dagens Nyheter. Archived from the original on 9 January 2018. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- Enfield, Interview by Lizzie (27 November 2015). "Stellan Skarsgård: my family values". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Archived from the original on 28 September 2017. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "Stellan Skarsgård: Nymphomaniac's off-centred everyman". The Irish Times. Archived from the original on 4 August 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- Gilbey, Ryan (5 April 2012). "Stellan Skarsgård: 'I'm a castrated bull'". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 17 October 2013. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Abramovitch, Seth (24 August 2012). "Stellan Skarsgard, 61, Welcomes Baby Number 8". Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 27 August 2012. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Stellan Skarsgård har steriliserat sig: "Det räcker med åtta barn"". hant.se. 6 January 2016. Archived from the original on 21 September 2017. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Stellan Skarsgård: För att bli bra måste du vara ömtålig - DN.SE". dn.se. 2 January 2016. Archived from the original on 17 September 2017. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Skarsgård: 'Jag har steriliserat mig'". aftonbladet.se. Archived from the original on 17 September 2017. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Hewett, Emily (8 September 2015). "Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany hold hands with their precious children Agnes and Stellan on low-key family stroll". Retrieved 15 May 2017. Unknown parameter
- Skarsgård, Stellan (27 November 2015). "Stellan Skarsgård: my family values". The Guardian. Interviewed by Lizzie Enfield. Archived from the original on 16 March 2017. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Skarsgård, Stellan (14 December 2008). "Stellan Skarsgård: Bibeln och Koranen får inte styra skolan" [Stellan Skarsgård: The Bible and the Quran can not control the school]. Expressen (in Swedish). Archived from the original on 25 May 2009. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- "Därför är det viktigt med ett sekulärt samhälle" [Therefore, it is important to have a secular society]. Dagens Nyheter (in Swedish). 18 June 2009. Archived from the original on 23 July 2009. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- "Berlinale: 1982 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- "2004 Bodil Awards". imdb.com. Archived from the original on 2 June 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "1998 European Film Awards". europeanfilmacademy.org. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "2000 European Film Awards". europeanfilmacademy.org. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "2001 European Film Awards". europeanfilmacademy.org. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "2006 Fangoria Chainsaw Awards". imdb.com. Archived from the original on 15 August 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "The Swedish Film Database". sfi.se. Archived from the original on 21 October 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- Haimi, Rebecca (4 January 2018). "Flest nomineringar till Borg – Östlund: "Det känns okej"". SVT (in Swedish). Archived from the original on 4 January 2018. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Pettersson, Leo (22 January 2018). "Glädjetårar efter Sameblods succé". Aftonbladet (in Swedish). Archived from the original on 23 January 2018. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "2008 Satellite Awards". pressacademy.com. Archived from the original on 28 June 2015. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Jameson Dublin International Film Festival: Audience Awards". jdiff.com. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "2002 Mar del Plata Film Festival". imdb.com. Archived from the original on 19 March 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "2010 Amanda Awards". filmweb.no/filmfestivalen/. Archived from the original on 20 October 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "2009 People's Choice Awards". peopleschoice.com. Archived from the original on 27 October 2009. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "2004 Robert Awards". imdb.com. Archived from the original on 5 June 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "4th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards". sagawards.org. Archived from the original on 26 June 2015. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stellan Skarsgård.|