Stellar at the Phoenix Summer Festival in October 2015.
From left to right: Hyoeun, Jeonyul, Gayoung and Minhee.
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Labels||The Entertainment Pascal|
|Website||The Entertainment Pascal|
Stellar (Hangul: 스텔라) was a South Korean girl group whose final lineup was composed of Minhee, Hyoeun, Soyoung and Youngheun and that disbanded in 2018. Formed in 2011 by The Entertainment Pascal,[fn 1] the group attracted attention as they were initially produced by Eric Mun of the boy band Shinhwa.
Following an unsuccessful debut with the single "Rocket Girl" in August 2011, Stellar underwent a line-up change and released "UFO" in February 2012, which fared similarly.[better source needed] The group began working with production team MonoTree in July 2013 and released "Study", which experienced modest success and became their first single to chart in the top 100 of the Gaon Digital Chart.[fn 2]
Stellar gained notoriety in February 2014, when they adopted a more "provocative" image for the release of their first extended play Marionette. The album's title track peaked at number thirty-five on the Gaon Digital Chart, making it their most commercially successful single. This stylistic change in direction would be maintained in Stellar's subsequent releases "Vibrato" in 2015 and their second extended play Sting in 2016.
- 1 Career
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Concerts
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Awards/Nominations
- 7 Footnotes
- 8 References
- 9 External links
2011–2014: Early beginnings, debut, and Marionette
The formation of Stellar began as early as 2010, originally supposed to be a six-membered group with a former trainee from Japan, but when Top Class Entertainment reported that member Kim Gayoung had signed an exclusive contract with the company and would be joining a five-member girl group. Gayoung had gained attention for her appearance on the Viewers' Tour episode of 1 Night 2 Days and had been cast in the drama series Poseidon alongside Top Class Entertainment operator and Shinhwa member Eric Mun. The series was set to air on the SBS network until production halted following the November 2010 Yeonpyeong bombardment incident. The roles were subsequently recast when production was greenlit by KBS a year later. Gayoung was later cast in the 2011 drama Spy Myung-wol along with Mun.
The final debut line-up of Stellar was Gayoung, true rookie Jeon-yul, and ex-Honeydew members Lee-seul and JoA. The group officially debuted on August 28, 2011, with the release of the digital single "Rocket Girl". On January 26, 2012, it was announced that Lee-seul and JoA were leaving the group and would be replaced by Min-hee and Hyo-eun for their first comeback track "UFO".
On February 12, 2014, Stellar released their first extended play Marionette. The group received criticism for their "stripping game" promotional material, which involved fans having to "like" posts on Stellar's official Facebook page to reveal photos of the members' body parts. The group received further criticism for their 19+ music video and performances of "Marionette". Despite the controversy, "Marionette" became their best selling single, peaking at number 35 and 34 on Gaon and Billboard K-Pop Hot 100 charts, respectively.
On August 21, 2014, Stellar released the digital single "Mask".
2015-2016: Singles, Sting, first solo concert and "Cry"
On March 9, 2015, Stellar released the digital single "Fool" and its music video. The MV shows the members reacting to the negative comments of their past comebacks.
On July 20, 2015, Stellar released the single "Vibrato" and another controversial music video, gaining more recognition. The group responded to criticism of their revealing performance outfits with the explanation that "Vibrato"'s sexy music video was merely meant to be an expression of the group's unique identity. While promoting "Vibrato", Stellar released a virtual reality clip of a July 27 performance. The video – created by virtual reality company Moovr – allows viewers to use their computer mouse or move their smartphone to scroll around a 360-degree rotating view of the stage as the four members perform.
On January 8, 2016, it was announced that the group would return on January 18 with their second mini-album titled Sting. The album's creation was supported in part through a Makestar-hosted crowd-funding campaign. The campaign's original goal of $8,418 was reached in only three days, ultimately reaching 422% of its goal with $35,510. On January 18, 2016, the album and a music video for the title track "Sting" were released. The band explained that their intentions for "Sting" were different from "Marionette" and "Vibrato", stating "This time, we wanted to look more like a girlfriend rather than to [...] look provocative. We put on lighter makeup so that more fans will feel closer to us." The previously released single "Vibrato" was included as the final track on the album.
Stellar announced on April 1 that they would be holding their first solo concert, since their debut, on April 22, 2016, at Seoul's Yes24 MUVHALL. They brought to their fans a range of unique performances, including hit songs like "Marionette" and "Sting". The concert was live-streamed on various websites such as Allreh TV, Allreh TV mobile and Goliveconcert.com. [better source needed]
On July 10, 2016, it was officially announced that the group would be releasing their seventh single album called "Cry" on July 18, posting the date of release and the first teaser images for the single through their official Twitter account. This project was also supported, in part, by a Makestar crowd-funding project which raised $53,593 (532% of its original goal).
They went on to hold a second concert, entitled 'Stellar 2nd Concert: After Story' on December 3, 2016, while also debuting in Japan with a showcase in Tokyo on August 27 and a concert on December 24.
2017: Stellar Into The World, line-up changes and disbandment
Stellar ended 2016 by launching a third Makestar fundraising event in support of their third mini-album on December 26. By the time the project finished they had reached 1,132% of their original goal, making them the first group on Makestar to achieve over 1,000%. On March 25, 2017, Stellar held a special fansign in the city of Fortaleza, Brazil. On March 26, 2017, Stellar was the first Korean girl group to hold a solo concert in Brazil, playing for a sold-out crowd of almost 1,000 people.
On May 17, it was reported that their new mini-album was to be released in late June. It was also revealed that a new member could possibly join the line-up with their new release. On May 18, The Entertainment Pascal confirmed the addition of a new member, So-young, via Stellar's Makestar Project. On June 20, The Entertainment Pascal announced that the group's third mini-album was set to be released on June 27 and was titled Stellar Into the World, with the title track "Archangels of the Sephiroth". The teasers for the release showed an Angel vs. Witch theme, represented by mirroring photos where one had a light theme and the other had a dark theme. This theme was confirmed by both the tags used for the teaser images on social media and in a radio interview starring Stellar.
On August 22, it was announced that the group would be holding a special anniversary concert titled "Interstellar: Time Travel Through 6 Years" on August 28. On August 23, it was confirmed that Gayoung and Jeonyul would leave Stellar at the end of the month after they decided not to renew their contracts with The Entertainment Pascal.
On August 25, Stellar announced the addition of a new member, Youngheun.
On September 30, members Youngheun and Soyoung were seen in YG Entertainment's teaser for Mix Nine, a show that would create a temporary boy or girl group, but neither member made it past the auditions.
On February 22, 2018, the members posted to social media about how they had arranged a "final" fan meeting for the group, to be held on February 25, 2018. Also on February 22, Gayoung tweeted "People who play with other people's emotions are the worst!", to which Hyoeun replied "True". Many fans took this to mean that the members were expressing their dissatisfaction with the company.
On February 26, it was revealed that Minhee and Hyoeun had chosen not to renew their contracts with the company, and, as a result, the group would be disbanding. Shortly after the disbandment, Minhee gave an interview where she apologized to the group's fans and assured them there was no discord among the members. She stated that Jeonyul and Gayoung were looking to move into acting, but she and Hyoeun had not decided what they were going to do yet.
2018: Post-disbandment, reunion, and revealing the difficulties as idols
On October 30, 2018 Minhee released a video of Stellar's first reunion party after disbandment through her YouTube channel "About Mini". Gayoung, Minhee, Hyoeun and Jeonyul attended the event. Minhee explained that the Reunion Party was created thanks to fans.
On October 29, 2018 An SBS Special Documentary was released about the life of idols. A segment on Gayoung and Stellar revealed the difficulties members faced while being a part of Stellar, as well as showing some of the story after the disbandment of the group. The segment focused on Gayoung and her pursuit of being an actress, while running a cafe.
In an interview with Insight on December 17, 2018, Gayoung revealed the difficulties that she and her members faced from performing the sexy concept, from both the perception of the public, as well as the pressure that their company placed on members to do what the company wanted, whenever the members said that they didn't want to do a particular thing (such as a particular concept). When asked if she would be an idol again, Gayoung responded that "I don't think I would do it again". She concluded the interview with advice to new aspiring idols, that while it is important to work hard, the direction in which you are pursuing is important too.
After the Insight interview there was an immense response in the comments left for members both on the Insight interview video, as well as the Stellar reunion party video. In a response to the comments left on Stellar's first reunion party video, Minhee released a Q&A video on January 13, 2019. In response to a question about how much members earned from their work during Stellar, it was revealed that each member earned less than 10,000,000 Won (~$9,000 USD) over the 7 years they worked under their company.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart
|Stellar Into the World||
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|Title||Year||Peak chart position||Sales
|"Archangels of the Sephiroth"||2017||—||
||Stellar Into the World|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|Year||Title||Peak chart position||Album||Notes|
|2011||"Loving U"||194||Spy Myung-wol OST Part.5|
|2015||"My Love You"||—||All is Well OST|
|2017||"Separation"||—||No Way Out EP||MoonBand ft. Hyoeun|
|"Summer, Summer"||—||—||Black Star ft. Hyoeun|
|"Rocket Girl"||2011||Hong Won-ki|
|"Archangels of the Sephiroth"||2017||
- Stellar 1st Concert (April 22, 2016)
- Stellar 2nd Concert: After Story (December 3, 2016)
- Stellar Japan Concert (December 24, 2016)
- FEELZ - Special Stellar in Brazil (March 26, 2017)
- Interstellar: Time Travel Through 6 Years (August 28, 2017)
|2015||Human Documentary People is Good||MBC||Documentary|
|2017||Trace of the Hand||Unknown||All - Phonetopia Girls, Hyoeun - Soobin, Jeonyul - Lab Assistant||Web drama|
|2017||Girl's War||Unknown||Web drama - Trace of the Hand season 2|
|2017||Seoul Webfest Awards||Gayoung||Blue Up, White Down||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|||
|2018||Seoul Webfest Awards||Gayoung||Calm Down Cheon-dong||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|||
- Following Eric Mun's contract expiration with Top Class Entertainment in late 2013, the company renamed itself as The Entertainment Pascal.
- MonoTree was formed in 2014 by Hwang Hyun, G-High and Lee Joo-hyoung, former composers and writers of the production team Sweetune. "Study" is credited to the latter.
- 에릭, '김가영 걸그룹' 스텔라 프로듀서 변신. Naver (May 16, 2011). Retrieved on February 22, 2014.
- "Stellar honestly open up about why they had no choice but to go the sexy route". allkpop. 6Theory Media, LLC. 25 July 2015. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Im, Se-yeong (13 July 2013). "[포토엔]스텔라 효은 '공부하세요 사랑해주세요~'". Newsen. Archived from the original on 2016-05-23. Retrieved 26 January 2016.()
- "2013년 29주차 Digital Chart". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- "2014년 09주차 Digital Chart". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Yi, Gyeong-nam (26 July 2015). "스텔라 "우리가 선정적인 옷을 입고 춤추는 이유"(인터뷰①)". News1 Korea. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Kim, Mi-hwa (8 January 2016). "섹시 걸그룹 스텔라가 청순해졌다..18일 '찔려'로 컴백". Star News. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Yi, Eon-hyeog (28 October 2010). "'1박2일' 국악고 김가영, 에릭과 한솥밥 연예계 데뷔". Newsen. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Mun, Wan-sik (16 November 2010). "'국악고' 김가영, 내년초 5인 걸그룹으로 데뷔". Star News. Money Today. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Hong, Lucia (30 June 2011). "Poseidon confirmed to hit airwaves in September". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Choi Si-won, Lee Si-young embark Poseidon". 10Asia. 2 August 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- Oh, Mi-jung. "Stellar, ′Eric′s Secret Weapon′". Mwave. CJ E&M Corp. Archived from the original on 3 February 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Gwak, Min-goo. "스텔라, 멤버교체 후 '2월 컴백'…조아-이슬 '발라드그룹' 결성". Focus News. Archived from the original on March 2, 2014. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Kim, Seong-han. "스텔라 '공부하세요' 티저 공개, 복고풍으로 매력발산". Sports Hankook. Hankook Media Network. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Choi, Gwang-je. "스텔라 '마리오네트' 19금 뮤비 공개 4시간 만에 6만뷰 돌파". BNT News. bntnews. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "'너무 야한' 스텔라 마리오네트, 페북도 '옷벗기기 게임' 논란". Seoul Newspaper (Seoul Sinmun). Seoul Sinmun. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Yoon, Jun-pil (2014-02-12). "스텔라, '마리오네트' MV 선정성 논란 … 케이블까지 19금 판정". TenAsia. Korea Entertainment Media. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Gaon Digital Chart February 16-22, 2014 (see #35)". Gaon Music Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "KOREA K-POP HOT 100 (Week of March 1, 2014)". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "스텔라, 블랙 티팬티에 엉덩이 옆 부분까지…엄청난 '파격 노출'". Asia Economy. Asia Economy. 2015-07-09. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Kim, Yu-jin. "Stellar says sexy M/V is an 'expression of identity'". The Kpop Herald. Herald Corporation. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Ahn, Sung-mi. "Stellar to reveal 360-degree VR clip". The Kpop Herald. Herald Corporation. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Hwang, Mi-hyeon. "스텔라, 이번엔 시스루 대신 흰 셔츠..남자로망 조준". Ilgan Sports. DramaHouse & J Content Hub Co., Ltd. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "STELLAR mini-album production project (Updates tab, update #1)". Makestar. Makestar Inc. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- Son, Ji-hyoung. "Stellar releases 'Sting'". The Kpop Herald. Herald Corporation. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Sting: Naver Music". Naver Music. NAVER Corp. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Ahn, Woorim Ahn (8 April 2016). "Stellar Finally Holds First Solo Concert". BNT News. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- soojean115 (8 April 2016). "Stellar to Hold First Ever Concert! - Seoulwave". Seoulwave. Archived from the original on 2016-04-08. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "STELLAR on Twitter". Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "STELLAR 2nd Makestar Project". Retrieved 2017-02-03.
- "STELLAR on Twitter". Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- "A 'Fanspecial' Stellar's Album Project". www.makestar.co.
- "Stellar Fansign Fortaleza".
- "KPOP NEWS - Stellar′s Brazil Concert Ticket′s Completely Sell Out - Mwave". mwave.interest.me. Archived from the original on 2017-09-19. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- '섹시지존' 스텔라, 멤버 1명 추가 5인조 확대 6월말 컴백(공식) - 스타뉴스. star.mt.co.kr (in Korean). 2017-05-17. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- [단독] 걸그룹 스텔라, 5인조 재편..합류 멤버 '소영' 공개 (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Introducing our new member!". www.makestar.co. Retrieved 2017-05-18.
- J. K. (20 June 2017). "Update: STELLAR's Minhee Features In Beautiful New Teaser For Comeback".
- "Daum 카페". cafe.daum.net (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- "STELLAR to Celebrate Their 6th Anniversary with Concert".
- "STELLAR's Gayoung and Jeonyul to Leave Group After Contract Expires This Month".
- "스텔라 - Stellar".
- "MIXNINE Full Ranks - Movies & Television". OneHallyu. Archived from the original on 2018-01-05. Retrieved 2018-01-04.
- https://www.instagram.com/p/BffZvvDh--2/[permanent dead link]
- https://www.instagram.com/p/BffdxIEg-53/[permanent dead link]
- "영흔🌸ヨンフン🌸Young Heun on Instagram: "드으디이어어.. 저희 스텔라가 준비한 팬미팅이에요🤗 많이 오셔서 꼭 만날 수 있었으면 좋겠어요♥️. #트윙클 #보고싶어요"".
- "STELLAR reunite for last fanmeeting as contracts of Minhee & Hyoeun are set to expire this year".
- "[단독] 걸그룹 스텔라, 8년 만에 해체..."각자의 길 간다"".
- "STELLAR's Minhee Gives Interview About Her Group's Recent Disbandment".
- ABOUT MINI어바웃미니 (2018-10-30), [ENG]STELLAR | 해체후 스텔라 첫 동창회!!! 오랜만에 뭉친 민희 가영 효은 유리_stellar party 1부, retrieved 2018-12-10
- "About Mini YouTube Channel". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- 유진, 임 (2018-10-31). 스텔라, 데뷔 7주년 기념 재회… '어바웃미니'에서 동창회로 모여. 스포츠니어스 (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- 살면서 들어보지 못할 심한 욕 듣기도…부모님께 상처 드려. tv.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-12-22.
- 인사이트 - Insight, '1박2일 국악고 소녀' 스텔라 가영이 파격 노출을 해야만 했던 사연, retrieved 2018-12-22
- ABOUT MINI어바웃미니, [1만기념] 스텔라 동창회 영상 댓글 QnA✨!! 스텔라 수익?? 코 성형 정보?? 남자 누구??, retrieved 2019-01-13
- "STELLAR Reveals Their Shockingly Low Payment Received Over Their 7 Year Promotions". www.koreaboo.com. 2019-01-14. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- "RaNia Romania performance announcement" – via www.youtube.com.
- Gaon Album Chart:
- "Billboard World Albums Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Gaon Album Chart, March 2014 (see #71)". Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Gaon Album Chart, January 2016 (see #40)". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on February 15, 2016. Retrieved February 17, 2016.
- "국내 대표 음악 차트 가온차트!". gaonchart.co.kr.
- "2017년 07월 Album Chart". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved August 13, 2017.
- "Gaon Digital Chart". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on September 21, 2014. Retrieved July 29, 2015.}
- "Rocket Girl/Loving U". August 27, 2011. Archived from the original on April 13, 2014.
- "UFO". February 11, 2012. Archived from the original on April 13, 2014.
- "Study". July 13, 2013. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- "Marionette". February 22, 2014. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- "Mask". August 23, 2014. Retrieved August 4, 2016.
- "Fool". March 14, 2015. Retrieved August 4, 2016.
- "Vibrato". July 25, 2015. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- "Crying". July 23, 2016. Retrieved July 28, 2016.
- Total sales for "Rocket Girl":
- Total sales for "UFO":
- "2013년 7월 (July 2013) Download Chart". Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Archived from the original on February 2, 2014. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- Total sales for "Marionette":
- "August 2014 Download Chart". Gaon Music Chart. p. 3. Retrieved August 4, 2016.
- "March 2015 Download Chart". Gaon Music Chart. p. 4. Retrieved August 4, 2016.
- Total sales for "Vibrato":
- Total sales for "Sting":
- Total sales for "Crying":
- "스텔라 (Stella) - UFO MV". YouTube. CJENMMusic Official. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "스텔라 (Stellar) - 공부하세요 (Study) MV". YouTube. CJENMMusic Official. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "스텔라 (Stella) - 마리오네트 (Marionette) (No Cut Ver.) MV". YouTube. The Entertainment Pascal. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- 베일 벗은 스텔라, '멍청이'로 이중매력 뽐낸다. Tenasia (in Korean). 11 March 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- '차트 정상부터 역주행까지'…스텔라 '떨려요' MV, 제대로 通했다. Herald Pop (in Korean). 22 July 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "스텔라(STELLAR) - 떨려요(VIBRATO) (Dance Ver.) MV". YouTube. The Entertainment Pascal. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- 컴백 앞둔 스텔라…'하의실종' 티저 사진 공개 깜짝. HeraldK (in Korean). 8 January 2016. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "스텔라(Stellar) - 찔려(Sting) MV (Dance Ver.)". YouTube. The Entertainment Pascal. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- 19금 벗어도 짜릿한 스텔라…여름 섹시 사냥. TVReport (in Korean). YTN. 18 July 2016. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "The tree of the Sephiroth". YouTube. The Entertainment Pascal. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- '사람이좋다' 스텔라, 노출에 대한 아쉬움 "이대로 끝나는게 무서웠다". hankyung.com (in Korean). 2015-08-22. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- 살면서 들어보지 못할 심한 욕 듣기도…부모님께 상처 드려. tv.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- kwebfest (August 18, 2017). "Seoul Webfest 2017 - Best Dramedy". Retrieved August 20, 2017.
- "2018 Nominations". Seoul Webfest. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stellar.|