|Flowers of Stenanthium gramineum|
Stenanthium is a North American genus of flowering plants in the family Melanthiaceae, tribe Melanthieae. Molecular phylogenetic studies in the 21st century have resulted in number of changes to placements within this tribe. Three species were removed from the genus to Anticlea and two or three (depending on whether S. leimanthoides is maintained as a separate species) added from Zigadenus sensu lato, the deathcamases. (See also Phylogeny of Melanthieae.) Members of Stenanthium, as currently circumscribed, may also be distinguished from other deathcamases by having a slender cylindrical bulb and the lack of sarcotesta on its brown seeds. They occur in the eastern and south-central United States. Featherbells is a common for plants in this genus.
As of August 2013[update], the World Checklist of Selected Plant Families recognized three species, treating S. leimanthoides as a synonym of S. densum. Other sources recognize S. lemanthoides as a separate species.
- Stenanthium densum (Desr.) Zomlefer & Judd – Osceola's plume - southeastern United States from Texas to Virginia
- Stenanthium diffusum Wofford - Tennessee
- Stenanthium gramineum (Ker Gawl.) Morong – Eastern featherbells - eastern + south-central United States from eastern Texas to Florida north to Michigan and Connecticut
- Stenanthium leimanthoides (A.Gray) Zomlefer & Judd – Pine Barren deathcamas - eastern + south-central United States from eastern Texas to Florida north to New York
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- Zomlefer, WB; WS Judd (2002). "Resurrection of Segregates of the Polyphyletic Genus Zigadenus s.l. (Liliales: Melanthiaceae) and Resulting New Combinations". Novon. 12 (2): 299–308. doi:10.2307/3392971. JSTOR 3392971.
- Zomlefer, WB; NH Williams; WM Whitten; WS Judd (2001). "Generic circumscriptions and relationships in the tribe Melanthieae (Liliales, Melanthiaceae), with emphasis on Zigadenus: Evidence from ITS and TRNL-F sequence data". American Journal of Botany. Botanical Society of America. 88 (9): 1657–1669. doi:10.2307/3558411. JSTOR 3558411. PMID 21669700.
- "Stenanthium". Natural Resources Conservation Service PLANTS Database. USDA. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- Search for "Stenanthium", "World Checklist of Selected Plant Families". Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- Weldy, Troy, David Werier, and Andrew Nelson (2013). "Stenanthium leimanthoides". New York Flora Atlas. Florida Center for Community Design and Research. New York Flora Association. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- Biota of North America Program 2014 county distribution maps