Step Inside Love
|"Step Inside Love"|
|Single by Cilla Black|
|Released||8 March 1968|
|Cilla Black singles chronology|
|"Step Inside Love/Los Paranoias"|
|Song by the Beatles|
|from the album Anthology 3|
|Released||28 October 1996|
|Recorded||16 September 1968|
|Songwriter(s)||Lennon–McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr|
In late 1967 McCartney was approached to write the theme by Black and her series producer Michael Hurll. He recorded the original demo version at his London home, accompanying himself on guitar, which consisted of just one verse and the chorus.
Black's recording of this song was used as the theme during the early weeks of the show, until it was decided that the song needed an additional verse, so McCartney came to the BBC Theatre and wrote it there. According to Hurll, the opening line of the second verse ("You look tired, love") came from McCartney's observation of Black looking tired from the long rehearsals for the TV show. McCartney then added a third verse and that version was recorded as a studio demo at Chappell Studios in London on 21 November 1967, with McCartney on guitar accompanying Black on vocals. That demo was the basis for the single, although whereas the McCartney demos were recorded in the key of D, the final arrangement of the single version was transposed up a fourth to G, to take advantage of Cilla's higher register.
The single version of the song (with Black singing live over the studio backing track) was premiered on 5 March 1968 edition of her show; the single was released on 8 March 1968, and reached number eight on the British charts in April 1968. The record also reached Number 15 in Ireland in the same month and Number 12 in New Zealand. The recording was also featured on Black's third solo studio album Sher-oo! Remixed club versions of Cilla's original 1960s vocal were released in 2009 on her album Cilla All Mixed Up.
Judd Proctor played the guitar on the single.
In 2002, DJ Tommy Sandhu managed to coax Black into the recording studio again to re-record "Step Inside Love". Sandhu then remixed the song and 3,000 white labels of it were sent to British clubs under the name "TS vs CB". The 12" charted at number three on Music Week's club chart. A maxi single of all of these remixes was released to download worldwide on 30 November 2009.
In 2010, during a BBC interview, Black revealed that the song had been banned in South Africa due to fears that the lyrics contained hidden sexual elements.
The grave marker beneath the headstone on Black's burial plot in Allerton Cemetery in inscribed with six of the seven lines from the third verse of "Step Inside Love". Lyrics from Black's hits "Alfie" and "You're My World" also appear on the marker. The black marble headstone and marker were installed 18 April 2016, some eight months after Black's 1 August 2015 death. Following the December 2015 theft of its original bronze nameplate, Black's grave remained unmarked until drier weather permitted the installation of the marble headstone and marker.
McCartney recorded the song on 16 September 1968 during The Beatles (a.k.a. "The White Album") sessions, but it did not appear on the album. After an impromptu performance of "Step Inside Love", McCartney led the group into "Los Paranoias", which (despite George Harrison not being present) was credited to all four members of the band. The two songs were released as a single CD track on Anthology 3 in 1996.
The Beatles personnel
- Personnel per The Beatles Bible
On 15 September 1997 EMI Records released The Abbey Road Decade: 1963–73, a three-disc compilation album of Black's recordings. It featured the single version of "Step Inside Love", an Italian-language version (M'Innamoro), the original demo (featuring McCartney), and an alternate take.
Recordings of "Step Inside Love" as the Beatles may have performed it are available on the 1989 album by Bas Muys entitled Secret Songs: Lennon & McCartney and on the 1998 release It's Four You by the Australian tribute band The Beatnix.
- "The Beatles Bible: Step Inside Love". Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- Cilla Black - Flavour of New Zealand. Flavour of New Zealand
- "CillaBlack.com discography – Sher-oo!". Archived from the original on 1 October 2009. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- "CillaBlack.com Tommy Sandhu's club remixes of STEP INSIDE LOVE released to download". Archived from the original on 29 March 2010. Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- Jones, Neil (2016-04-18). "Cilla Black's grave to become a tourist stop as HUGE headstone is fitted after plaque was stolen". Daily Mirror (UK). Retrieved 2018-03-26.
- "The Beatles Bible: Step Inside Love/Los Paranoias". Retrieved 2009-04-15.
- "CillaBlack.com discography – The Abbey Road Decade: 1963–73". Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Bas Muys, Lennon & McCartney Secret Songs (Vinyl)". Tagtuner.com. 18 December 2006. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- "Bas Muys – Lennon & McCartney Secret Songs (Vinyl)". Gnudb.org. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- "It's Four You". Answers.com. 21 August 1998. Retrieved 2011-08-21.