Степан Тимофійович Полторак
|14th Minister of Defence of Ukraine|
14 October 2014 – 29 August 2019
|Preceded by||Valeriy Heletey|
|Succeeded by||Andriy Zahorodniuk|
Stepan Tymofiyovych Poltorak
11 February 1965
Tarutyne Raion, Odessa Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
|Allegiance|| Soviet Union (1983–1991)|
|Branch/service|| Soviet Army|
Ukrainian Ground Forces
|Years of service||1983-2018|
|Rank||General of the army of Ukraine|
|Commands|| National Academy of Internal Troops (2002–2014)|
Internal Troops/National Guard (2014)
Stepan Poltorak (Ukrainian: Степан Полторак) was the Minister of Defence of Ukraine from 14 October 2014 until 29 August 2019. Previously he was the commander of the Internal Troops of Ukraine and National Guard of Ukraine. Poltorak's rank was General of the army of Ukraine. From 1 January 2019, Poltorak remained the country's defense minister as a civilian, after resigning from military service in October 2018. Poltorak resigned at the request of newly inaugurated president Volodymyr Zelensky on 20 May 2019.
Poltorak was born on 11 February 1965 in the village Vesela Dolyna (located in the Tarutyne Raion, Odessa Oblast). He has served in the military since August 1983. Poltorak is a graduate from Ordzhonikidzevsky highest military command college of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the USSR.
On 14 October 2014, Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada approved Poltorak's appointment as Ukraine's Minister of Defence. , replacing Valeriy Heletey, who was appointed head of the State Security Administration after President Petro Poroshenko accepted his resignation.
Poltorak resigned at the request of newly inaugurated president Volodymyr Zelensky on 20 May 2019. His official tenure as Defence Minister ended on 29 August 2019 when Andriy Zahorodniuk was appointed his successor.
Family and Personal Life
Poltorak is married to Inna (who is two years younger than him) and has an adult son called Ihor. His wife is a captain at Poltorak former posting, the Academy of the Interior Ministry of Ukraine in Kharkiv.
Awards and decorations
- Turchynov proposes parliament appoint Poltorak as National Guard commander, Interfax-Ukraine (19 March 2014)
- Poltorak quits military service, continues to lead Defense ministry as civilian – Poroshenko, UNIAN (13 October 2018)
Poltorak quits military service to continue leading Ukrainian Defense Ministry as civilian, Interfax-Ukraine (13 October 2018)
- (in Ukrainian) Turchynov appointed a new commander of the Internal Troops Archived 2014-04-16 at the Wayback Machine, Espreso TV (28 February 2014)
- (in Russian) Former head of the Kharkov Academy of Internal Troops became the commander of the National Guard, sq.com.ua (15 April 2014)
- Parliament appoints Poltorak as commander of National Guard of Ukraine, Interfax-Ukraine (15 April 2014)
- "Poltorak becomes Defense Minister". ukrinform.ua. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Rada okays Poltorak's appointment as Ukrainian defense minister". Interfax-Ukraine (14 October 2014). Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Rada approves Poltorak as defense chief". unian.info. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Ukrainian Ex-Defense Minister Appointed Head of State Protection Service". RIA Novosti. 15 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- (in Russian) Poltorak's wife is the captain of the militia, Vesti (15 October 2014)
- (in Ukrainian) Biography on the official website of Kharkiv
- (in Russian) Small biography, LB.ua (10 October 2016)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stepan Poltorak.|
post of Commander of the Internal Troops
| Commander of the National Guard of Ukraine
| Commander of the Internal Troops of Ukraine
post of Commander of the National Guard
|| Chief of the Internal Troops Academy
- About amendments to some legislative acts of Ukraine. Law of Ukraine. 13 March 2014