This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Stephanie Rose McGovern|
31 May 1982
Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, England
|Alma mater||University College London|
|Occupation||Journalist, television presenter|
Pocket Money Pitch
Shop Well for Less?
Stephanie Rose "Steph" McGovern (born 31 May 1982) is an English journalist and television presenter. She works for the BBC and is the main business presenter for BBC Breakfast. She sometimes co-hosts the entire programme.
In 1998 at the start of her sixth form studies she won an Arkwright Engineering Scholarship for her potential to be a future leader in the engineering industry. From 1998–2000, in the sixth form, she studied maths, physics, design technology and business studies. At the age of 19 she was awarded 'Young Engineer for Britain', after saving Black & Decker £150,000 a year by improving production techniques used for the Leaf Hog product.
McGovern started at the BBC doing work experience on the Tomorrow's World programme, before securing part-time employment as a researcher in current affairs. She went on to be main producer for daily financial news on the Today programme on Radio 4, before becoming the lead producer of business news on the BBC's One, Six and Ten O'Clock news bulletins, working with the then business editor, Robert Peston.
On 27 August 2012 she made her debut presenting BBC Breakfast alongside Roger Johnson. While one of the main relief presenters on BBC Breakfast, she also presented the main show during the Christmas holiday in 2012. She was heard swearing off-camera in October 2012, which resulted in Susanna Reid giving an apology on air.
Starting in February 2016, she presented Pocket Money Pitch for CBBC. Series 1 consisted of 10 weekly episodes. Since March 2016, she has co-presented Shop Well for Less? with Alex Jones for BBC One.
- Macmillan Academy Archived 2013-10-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Gap-year pioneers make their mark - The Engineer The Engineer". www.theengineer.co.uk.
- "Breakfast - Steph McGovern - BBC One". BBC.
- "BBC Breakfast left red-faced after on-air swearing gaffe". Daily Record. 4 October 2012.
- "BBC - Pocket Money Pitch - Media Centre". www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Promoted from Boro to Real Madrid". 28 March 2012 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Steph McGovern kicks off her shoes and dances". BBC News. 2 April 2012.
- Gas turbine factory in Lincoln in June 2012
- Birmingham car parts factory in June 2012
- Dancing an Irish jig on BBC Breakfast in April 2012
- BBC Wife-carrying report – Steph carries co-presenter Mike Bushell in 2012
| Business Presenter: BBC Breakfast
2011 – 2016/2017, TBC