Stephanie Rose McGovern
31 May 1982
|Alma mater||University College London|
|Occupation||Journalist, television presenter|
Pocket Money Pitch
Shop Well for Less?
Have I Got News For You
Made in Great Britain
Stephanie Rose McGovern (born 31 May 1982) is an English journalist and television presenter. She works for the BBC and is the main business presenter for BBC Breakfast. She sometimes co-hosts the entire programme.
McGovern is from Middlesbrough. In 1998 at the start of her sixth form studies she won an Arkwright Engineering Scholarship for her potential to be a future leader in the engineering industry. From 1998–2000, in the sixth form, she studied maths, physics, design technology and business studies. At the age of 19 she was awarded 'Young Engineer for Britain', after saving Black & Decker £150,000 a year by improving production techniques used for the Leaf Hog product.
McGovern started at the BBC doing work experience on the Tomorrow's World programme, before securing part-time employment as a researcher in current affairs. She went on to be main producer for daily financial news on the Today programme on Radio 4, before becoming the lead producer of business news on the BBC's One, Six and Ten O'Clock news bulletins, working with the then business editor, Robert Peston.
On 27 August 2012 she made her debut presenting BBC Breakfast alongside Roger Johnson. While one of the main relief presenters on BBC Breakfast, she also presented the main show during the Christmas holiday in 2012. Starting in February 2016, she presented Pocket Money Pitch for CBBC. Series 1 consisted of 10 weekly episodes. Since March 2016, she has co-presented Shop Well for Less? with Alex Jones for BBC One.
In October 2018, McGovern stated that she found Donald Trump 'creepy' and he referred to her as 'beautiful' during an interview in 2012. She is said to have brushed off Trump's comments by telling him she had heard "better lines" in Middlesbrough's Club Bongo.
- "Business News: Stephanie McGovern". BBC News. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- Macmillan Academy Archived 2013-10-23 at the Wayback Machine
- "Gap-year pioneers make their mark – The Engineer The Engineer". www.theengineer.co.uk.
- "About UCL".
- "Breakfast – Steph McGovern – BBC One". BBC.
- "BBC – Pocket Money Pitch – Media Centre". www.bbc.co.uk.
- "BBC reporter brushed off Trump flattery". 26 October 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Steph McGovern kicks off her shoes and dances". BBC News. 2 April 2012.
- Gas turbine factory in Lincoln in June 2012
- Birmingham car parts factory in June 2012
- Dancing an Irish jig on BBC Breakfast in April 2012
- BBC Wife-carrying report – Steph carries co-presenter Mike Bushell in 2012
| Business Presenter: BBC Breakfast
2011 – 2016/2017, TBC