Beatriz at the 2014 Alma Awards.
Stephanie Beatriz Bischoff Alvizuri
10 February 1981
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Stephens College|
Brad Hoss (m. 2018)
Stephanie Beatriz Bischoff Alvizuri (born 10 February 1981) is an Argentine-born American actress best known for playing Detective Rosa Diaz in the Fox/NBC comedy series Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Jessica in the independent drama Short Term 12 (2013).
Stephanie Beatriz Bischoff Alvizuri was born in Neuquén, Neuquén Province, Argentina, the daughter of a Colombian father and a Bolivian mother. She also has German ancestry. With her parents and a younger sister, she arrived in the United States at the age of three. She grew up in Webster, Texas and attended Clear Brook High School.
Beatriz had minor roles in the police procedural television series The Closer and Southland, as well a recurring role as Gloria's sister Sonia in the acclaimed ABC comedy series Modern Family. She has had numerous stage appearances at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Theatreworks USA, The Old Globe Theatre, and Yale Repertory Theatre. Beatriz had her first feature film role as Jessica in the 2013 acclaimed independent drama Short Term 12.
Beatriz starred as Bonnie in the independent feature film The Light of the Moon, written and directed by Jessica M. Thompson. The film premiered at the 2017 South by Southwest Film Festival, where it won the Audience Award for Narrative Feature Competition. She received highly positive reviews for her performance, with The Hollywood Reporter stating that "Beatriz offers a powerful... unflinching, authentic performance", while Variety noted that the film was "harrowingly effective" and Beatriz's performance was "expertly balanced and judged." As of 2018 she voices the character Gina on season 5 of BoJack Horseman.
In July 2016, Beatriz revealed via Twitter that she is bisexual. She has described herself as suffering from disordered eating. In October 2017, Beatriz announced her engagement to Brad Hoss. Beatriz and Hoss married on 6 October 2018.
|2013||Short Term 12||Jessica|
|2014||You're Not You||Jill|
|2016||Pee-wee's Big Holiday||Freckles|
|2016||Closure||Isabelle Davis||Short film|
|2016||Ice Age: Collision Course||Gertie (voice)|
|2017||The Light of the Moon||Bonnie|
|2019||The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part||General Sweet Mayhem (voice)||Post-production|
|2009||The Closer||Camila Santiago||Episode: "The Life"|
|2012||The Smart One||Natalee||Television film|
|2013–2016||Modern Family||Sonia||3 episodes|
|2013||Southland||Belinda Cargrove||Episode: "Under the Big Top"|
|2013||Jessie||Salma Espinosa||Episode: "Toy Con"|
|2013||Hello Ladies||Gatekeeper||Episode: "The Limo"|
|2013–present||Brooklyn Nine-Nine||Rosa Diaz||Main role|
|2014||Top Chef Duels||Herself||Episode: "Jen Carroll vs. Nyesha Arrington"|
|2015||Axe Cop||Hasta Mia (voice)||Episode: "The Center of the Ocean"|
|2017||The New V.I.P.'s||Elena||Television film|
|2017||Bob's Burgers||Chloe Barbash/Julia (voice)||3 episodes|
|2018||BoJack Horseman||Gina (voice)||8 episodes|
|2018||Hell's Kitchen||Herself||Guest diner; Episode: "Fish Out of Water"|
|2016||WIZARD||Elizabeth (voice)||3 episodes|
|2017||Danger & Eggs||Sheriff Luke/Captain Banjo (voice)||4 episodes|
- "Stephanie Beatriz". Listal. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- Moreno, Carolina (12 December 2014). "'Brooklyn Nine-Nine's' Stephanie Beatriz On How A Badass Latina Breaks Stereotypes". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
The lack of focus on nationality is something Beatriz can relate to after being born in Argentina to a Colombian father and a Bolivian mother, with whom she moved at a young age to Texas, where she fostered a love of Mexican culture.
- Bland, Pete (3 October 2013). "Stephens alumna Beatriz cutting it up alongside Samberg on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'". Columbia Daily Tribune. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Davila, Julia (10 August 2013). "A sexy funny lady: Houston actress lands a major Fox sitcom role, sets a gut-busting mission". CultureMap Houston. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Kelley, Seth (18 March 2017). "SXSW Announces 2017 Audience Award Winners". Variety. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- Barker, Andrew (13 March 2017). "SXSW Film Review: 'The Light of the Moon'". Variety. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- Rook, Erin (17 July 2016). "Actress Stephanie Beatriz comes out as bisexual on Twitter". LGBTQ Nation. Archived from the original on 14 September 2017.
- "The representation of bisexuality on TV is improving but show producers still seem scared of the word". The Independent. 27 December 2017. Retrieved 14 March 2018.
- Beatriz, Stephanie (7 July 2017). "Brooklyn Nine-Nine Actress Stephanie Beatriz on Battling Disordered Eating". InStyle. Archived from the original on 12 August 2017.
You see, I have an eating disorder. But like a lot of us, mine is a bit hard to define. I don't purge, so I'm not a bulimic. I do eat, so I'm not anorexic. I'm what I like to call "a disordered eater."
- Chiu, Melody. "Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Stephanie Beatriz Is Engaged! See Her Unique Ring". PEOPLE.com.