Stephanie F. Stacy
Stephanie Frazier Stacy
|Justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court, 1st Judicial District|
|Assumed office |
September 28, 2015
|Appointed by||Pete Ricketts|
|Preceded by||Kenneth Stephan|
|Judge of the Nebraska Third District Court|
October 2011 – September 2015
|Appointed by||Dave Heineman|
|Born||April 23, 1962|
|Alma mater||University of Nebraska Omaha|
University of Nebraska–Lincoln College of Law
Stephanie F. Stacy (born April 23, 1962) is an American judge who is an associate justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court. She previously served as a judge on the Third District Court from 2011 to 2015. Stacy was appointed to the state’s supreme court by the Governor of Nebraska Pete Ricketts in August 2015.
Stacy completed a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice at the University of Nebraska Omaha in 1988, and a law degree at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln College of Law in 1991. She clerked for U.S. magistrate judge Dave Piester of the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska in 1991–1993.
Stacy worked as an attorney in private practice in Lincoln, Nebraska from 1993 to 2011, rising to become a partner in the law firm Baylor, Evnen, Curtiss, Grimit & Witt LLP. She was a member of the Lincoln Bar Association’s Board of Trustees from 2006 to 2009, and also taught law at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln in 2005–2011 as a adjunct faculty member.
In October 2011, Stacy was appointed as a judge by the Governor of Nebraska Dave Heineman, serving on the state’s Third District Court, which is responsible for Lancaster County, Nebraska. She was retained to the 3rd District with 77.8% of votes for a new judicial term on November 4th 2014.
Governor Pete Ricketts appointed Stacy to the Nebraska Supreme Court in 2015, to replace retiring justice Kenneth Stephan in representing the 1st Judicial District. Stacy’s appointment was announced on August 14, and she was sworn in on September 28, 2015. Justice Stacy’s current term on the court ends in January 2019, and she is eligible to run for re-election in November 2018, for a new six-year term.
- "Judge Stephanie Stacy Appointed to Nebraska Supreme Court". WOWT 6 News. August 14, 2015.
- State of Nebraska Judicial Branch. "Honorable Stephanie F. Stacy".
- Pilger, Lori (October 4, 2011). "Governor names 2 new district judges for Lancaster County". Lincoln Journal Star.
- John Gale, Secretary of State. "Official Report of the Board of State Canvassers of the State of Nebraska, General Election, November 4, 2014" (PDF).
- Stoddard, Martha (October 23, 2015). "Stephanie Stacy becomes second woman to sit on Nebraska Supreme Court". Omaha World-Herald.
| Associate Justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court