Stephanie Gray is a Canadian pro-life activist. She spent 12 years as executive director and co-founder of the Canadian Centre for Bio-Ethical Reform, and now writes and speaks on behalf of her ministry, Love Unleashes Life.
Life and education
Gray grew up in Chilliwack, British Columbia, and graduated from St. Jean Brebeuf Regional Secondary School in Abbotsford in 1998. After enrolling at the University of British Columbia (UBC), she joined the UBC Lifeline Club and was elected president in 1999. Until she graduated from UBC with a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science in 2002, Gray retained her position as president. She also possesses a certificate in health care ethics from the National Catholic Bioethics Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was raised Catholic.
Gray, who initially attended UBC to study theatre with the intent to become an actress and part-time volunteer, ultimately decided to work full-time for the prolife movement. She co-founded the Centre for Bio-Ethical Reform after she heard Scott Klusendorf at the National Campus Life Network Symposium in 1999 say that there were "more people willing to work full time to kill babies than to save them."
Canadian Centre for Bio-Ethical Reform
Gray spent 12 years as executive director and co-founder of the Canadian Centre for Bio-Ethical Reform. She founded the organization in 2001, with Jojo Ruba, with the mission "to make abortion unthinkable". Stephanie Gray is most known for organizing and directing the Genocide Awareness Project at college campuses throughout the United States and Canada. Describing the campaign in 2013, Gray said "We have put together an 18-year plan called 'End the Killing,' and we aim to saturate the Canadian culture with the facts about who the baby is, and what abortion does to the baby...so that we can eradicate abortion from our culture." The display contains graphic images of abortion, mass graves, and public lynchings while comparing abortion to the Holocaust and other forms of genocide.
Stephanie Gray believes that graphic images are essential to the pro life movement to expose the true horror of abortion and defend the humanity of the unborn. She has compared her work to that of Martin Luther King Jr., arguing that his critics also accused his activism of being "unwise and untimely" and "extreme".
In 2013, Gray and her team targeted opponents of Motion 312 in the Parliament of Canada; specifically the Calgary ridings of MP Michelle Rempel and Prime Minister Stephen Harper, by distributing tens of thousands of pamphlets containing graphic images of abortion. The 2012 motion, which would have created a committee to review the legality of abortion in Canada, failed 203-91.
Stephanie Gray is a faculty member at Blackstone Legal Fellowship and has debated at the University of Sussex. She spoke at the First Baptist Church in Glenarden, Maryland, at the Students for Life Conference in America in 2014.[non-primary source needed]
Stephanie Gray has been a guest on CTV News, CBC News, Global News, Sun News, Catholic Answers Radio, 100 Huntley Street's ListenUp, and the Miracle Channel's Insight. She has been interviewed by ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS.
Love Unleashes Life
In 2014, Stephanie Gray left the Canadian Centre for Bio-Ethical Reform and began a ministry, Love Unleashes Life. She authored a book by the same title, published in 2016. The book functions as a practical guide that uses questions and stories to make an intellectual case for the prolife message while reaching people's hearts.
- "The B.C. Catholic Paper — Gray colours pro-life with science". Bccatholic.ca. 2011-08-26. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- Stephanie Gray. "About - Stephanie Gray". Retrieved 2016-07-23.
- Graphically Speaking. "Alumni Biography: Stephanie Gray". Stjohnbrebeuf.ca. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "Anti-abortion group uses gruesome images to target ridings of MPs who voted against pro-life motion | National Post". News.nationalpost.com. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "NCLN Symposium Story: Stephanie Gray". National Campus Life Network.
- Weatherbe, Steve. "How Not to Silence Pro-Lifers | Daily News". NCRegister.com. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "VIDEO: Display comparing abortion to genocide flares emotions at FGCU : Naples Daily News". Naplesnews.com. 2010-02-24. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- Jonathan Goldsbie (12 April 2013). "Where the sidewalk ends..." NOW.
- "Arrest of Carleton students over anti-abortion posters framed as free speech issue | National Post". Life.nationalpost.com. 2010-10-04. Archived from the original on 2014-03-10. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "Western Standard — Informing Choice". Westernstandard.ca. 2007-07-30. Archived from the original on 2014-03-10. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "GAP Leader Responds to Post's Barbara Kay's Condemnation of Abortion Photos Strategy". LifeSiteNews.
- "Closed for debate". Macleans.ca. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "Students For Life at the University of Maryland". Studentorg.umd.edu. 2006-10-05. Archived from the original on 2010-06-21. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "Blackstone — Legal Fellowship — A Ministry of Alliance Defending Freedom". Blackstonelegalfellowship.org. Archived from the original on 2014-03-11. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- http://www.sussexstudent.com/debating/news/index.php?page=article&news_id=202183[dead link]
- Stephanie Gray at the Students for Life of America Conference, January 2014. 6 February 2014 – via YouTube.
- "Students for Life of America National Conference 2014 - Cvent".
- "Stephanie Gray | Canadian Centre for Bio-Ethical Reform". Unmaskingchoice.ca. Archived from the original on 2014-03-19. Retrieved 2014-03-15.[third-party source needed]
- The Vancouver Sun Anti-abortion activists attack Trudeau in leaflet campaign By Matthew Robinson, Vancouver Sun April 28, 2015
- Stephanie Gray. "Love Unleashes Life". Retrieved 2016-07-23.