Stephanie Kelton at Columbia University, 2012
|Born||1969 (age 45–46)|
|Institution||University of Missouri–Kansas City|
School or tradition
|Alma mater||California State University, Sacramento (B.S., B.A., 1995)
University of Cambridge (M.Phil, 1997)
The New School (Ph.D., 2001)
|Contributions||Modern Monetary Theory (MMT)|
Stephanie Kelton née Bell (born 1969) is an American economist and an associate professor, currently chairing the Department of Economics at the University of Missouri–Kansas City. She is a leading proponent of Modern Monetary Theory.
Kelton studied Business Finance and Economics at the California State University, Sacramento, earning a B.S. and a B.A. in 1995. She received a Rotary scholarship to study Economics at the University of Cambridge, receiving her Master in 1997. On a fellowship from Christ's College, Cambridge, Kelton then spent a year at the Levy Economics Institute of Bard College. She obtained a Ph.D. in Economics from The New School in 2001 with her dissertation, "Public Policy and Government Finance: A Comparative Analysis Under Different Monetary Systems."
Kelton teaches Economics as an associate professor at the University of Missouri–Kansas City since 1999. She's a research scholar at the UMKC Center for Full Employment and Price Stability and the Levy Economics Institute in upstate New York.
Kelton's primary research interests include monetary theory, employment policy, history of economic monetary thought, social security, public finance, fiscal policy, financial accounting, international finance, and European monetary integration.
In the media
Kelton publishes formally as well as in the popular press and appears on mass media. She has been a frequent guest on television and radio, including MSNBC's Up with Chris Hayes and NPR's On Point.
- "Dr. Kelton's Biography". University of Missouri – Kansas City. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- "Deflation: The Failed Macroeconomic Paradigm Plumbs New Depths of Self-Parody". The Real News., 20 January 2014
- "Stephanie A. Kelton". CFEPS research. Center for Full Employment and Price Stability. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- "Stephanie A. Kelton". Scholars. Levy Economics Institute. Retrieved 2013-12-30. Stephanie A. Kelton at Levy Economics Institute scholars
- "About the Economists". New Economic Perspectives. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- "Watch Out, MMT's About, As Bernie Sanders Hires Stephanie Kelton" by Tim Worstall, Forbes, 12 January 2012
- Bell, Stephanie. "Can Taxes and Bonds Finance Government Spending?", Levy Economics Institute, July 1998
- Kelton, Stephanie, Edward J. Nell, editors. The State, The Market, and the Euro: Metallism versus Chartalism in the Theory of Money; Edward Elgar Pub; Reprint edition May 2003; ISBN 9781843761563
- Smith, Devin (January 11, 2013). "Stephanie Kelton appeared on UP with Chris Hayes". Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- Ashbrook, Tom (December 4, 2012). "The Liberal Take On The Fiscal Cliff". On Point. WBUR. Retrieved 2015-08-17.