|Region of origin||English, Scottish and German|
|Related names||Stephenson, Stevens, Stephens, Fitzstephen|
Stephen is a surname of Scottish and German origin. It is a reasonably common surname, but is usually found as a first name. The German variant is thought to have originated from the German-speaking world as (Von) Stephan.
Stephen is the 3,845 most common surname in the USA.
MacStèaphain (Scottish Gaelic) Stephen is a sept of the clan MacTavish. It is believed that Stephens from North East Scotland (Morayshire, Banffshire, and Aberdeenshire) south of the Moray Firth are descended from a Viking named Tarben whose longship landed in Banffshire in the late 10th century CE. His name was Christianized to Stephen.
Notable people with the surname
- A. G. Stephen (1862–1924), Hong Kong banker
- Caroline Emelia Stephen (1834–1909), British philanthropist and writer on Quakerism
- C. M. Stephen (1918–1984), Indian politician
- George Stephen, 1st Baron Mount Stephen, Canadian businessman, financier, philanthropist
- George A. Stephen (c.1922–1993), American inventor and entrepreneur
- George Milner Stephen (1812–1894), Australian politician and faith healer
- Harry Lushington Stephen, judge, alderman, writer
- Hugh R. Stephen (1913–2002), mayor of Victoria, BC, Canada
- James Stephen (disambiguation), several people
- Leslie Stephen, English author, critic, historian, biographer, mountaineer
- Nicol Stephen, Scottish politician
- Ninian Stephen, judge
- Shamar Stephen, American football player
- Susan Stephen, English actor
- W. S. E. Stephen (died c. 1973), philatelist
|This page lists people with the surname Stephen. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|