Stephen B. Shepard
Stephen B. Shepard (born July 30, 1939) is an American business journalist and academic who served as editor-in-chief of BusinessWeek magazine and was the founding dean of the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism
Born and raised in New York City, Shepard attended the Bronx High School of Science. He received his undergraduate degree from the City College of New York and was awarded a master's degree from Columbia University. He married fellow Newsweek senior editor Lynn Povich on September 16, 1979, at a ceremony officiated by Rabbi Balfour Brickner.
Shepard was a senior editor at Newsweek and an editor of the Saturday Review. Shepard established and directed the Knight-Bagehot Fellowship in Economic and Business Journalism at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism from 1971 to 1976 and served as an adjunct professor of the school's faculty. The Knight-Bagehot Fellowship is a one-year program that allows business journalists to take a series of classes through the School of Journalism in business, law and international affairs. From 1984 to 2005, Shepard was the editor-in-chief of BusinessWeek.
City University of New York trustees selected Shepard to serve as the inaugural dean of the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism in November 2004. The school was to start with an enrollment of 50 students in August 2006 and expand to a total of 200 students. Shepard told employees that at BusinessWeek that he was disappointed to leave the magazine, but had been drawn to the academic post by the way it combined journalism, public education and New York City, three things that he cared a great deal for. Stephen J. Adler of The Wall Street Journal was named to succeed Shepard as editor in chief at BusinessWeek.
Shepard received the Gerald Loeb Award in 1999. He was president of the American Society of Magazine Editors from 1992 to 1994 and was selected in 1999 for inclusion in its hall of fame. The Magazine Publishers of America chose Shepard as one of two recipients of the 2000 Henry Johnson Fisher Award. He is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, an influential foreign policy think tank.
- Arenson, Karen W. "Business Week Editor to Lead CUNY's New Journalism School", The New York Times, November 30, 2004. Accessed June 27, 2010.
- Staff. "Lynn Povich Is Married To Stephen B. Shepard", The New York Times, September 17, 1979. Accessed June 27, 2010.
- Shepard, Stephen B. – Dean, Professor, Journalistic Judgment, CUNY Graduate School of Journalism. Accessed June 27, 2010.
- The Knight-Bagehot Fellowship in Economics and Business Journalism, Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. Accessed June 27, 2010.
- Steinberg, Jacques. "BusinessWeek Chooses Outsider as Editor in Chief", The New York Times, December 7, 2004. Accessed June 27, 2010.
- Staff. "THE MEDIA BUSINESS: ADVERTISING -- ADDENDA; Honors", The New York Times, December 27, 200. Accessed June 27, 2010.