|Member of Parliament
for North East Cambridgeshire
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Malcolm Moss|
3 May 1972 |
Lytham St Annes, Lancashire, England
|Alma mater||Peterhouse, Cambridge|
Stephen Paul "Steve" Barclay (born 3 May 1972) is a Conservative Party politician in the United Kingdom who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for North East Cambridgeshire since May 2010.
Early life and education
He was brought up in Lancashire England, and educated at King Edward VII School, a co-educational independent school in Lytham St. Annes in Lancashire. After completing his A levels, he then joined the army on a Gap Year Commission, attending the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst and served as a Second Lieutenant with the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers for nine months. After this he read history at Peterhouse, Cambridge and later studied at the College of Law, Chester, qualifying as a solicitor in 1998.
Barclay completed articles (training) with a large London law firm before working in businesses including Guardian Royal Exchange, Axa Insurance, the Financial Services Authority, and Barclays, where he was Head of Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions for the retail banking division before being elected to Parliament.
Steve joined the Conservative Party in 1994 after leaving university.  He was a member of the A-List and was a two-time unsuccessful parliamentary candidate, contesting Manchester Blackley in 1997 and Lancaster & Wyre in 2001.
In 2007 Barclay took over as Organiser of the Carlton Political Dinner which raises funds for the Conservative Party’s target seats.
Barclay was selected in January 2008 to replace the outgoing North East Cambridgeshire MP, Malcolm Moss. He was subsequently elected in May 2010, at the 2010 general election with a majority of 16,425.
Barclay was named by Conservative Home as one of a minority of loyal Conservative backbench MPs not to have voted against the government in any significant rebellions.
- The London Gazette: . 18 May 2015.
- http://www.edp24.co.uk/norfolk-life/first_friday_with_steve_barclay_mp_a_website_of_waste_campaign_progress_and_cheering_on_boris_1_1366053[dead link]
- Wisbech Standard. "3.46AM: Stephen Barclay wins NE Cambs seat and extends Tory majority to more than 16,000". Wisbech-standard.co.uk. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Steve Barclay". Conservative Home. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Biography". stevebarclay.net. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- Barclay, Steve. "Biography". Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- "ConservativeHome's Seats & Candidates blog: Where are the original A-Listers now? The 18 who have been selected for Conservative seats".
- "Public Accounts Committee - Membership". parliament.uk. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- Barrett, Matthew. "The 24 Conservative MPs who are still on the backbenches and have never rebelled". Conservative Home. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- Stephen Barclay official website
- Profile at the Conservative Party
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for North East Cambridgeshire