MP LLM JP
|Member of the New South Wales Parliament
for Myall Lakes
26 March 2011
|Preceded by||John Turner|
|Born||Stephen Bruce Bromhead
|Political party||National Party of Australia|
|Alma mater||University of New South Wales|
|Occupation||Solicitor and Barrister|
Stephen Bruce Bromhead (born ca 1958), an Australian politician, is a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly, having represented Myall Lakes for the National Party of Australia since 26 March 2011.
Early years and background
Bromhead is a registered nurse with two certificates, commencing work initially as a nurse. He later joined the New South Wales Police Force, serving initially as a general duties officer and then as a detective; serving for a total of 12 years in the majority around Taree and surrounding districts. Whilst working as a police officer, Bromhead studied law by correspondence and was admitted as a solicitor. He has subsequently studied and completed his Masters of Law through the University of New South Wales specialising in corporate, commercial and taxation law.
Bromhead has served as a Councillor on the Greater Taree City Council and has had extensive community involvement including local rugby union football clubs, tourism associations, chambers of commerce, and horse racing clubs.
Following an earlier announcement that the Nationals' sitting member, John Turner would not be seeking re-election, Bromhead was endorsed by the National Party as the candidate in June 2010. During the last two weeks of the election campaign, Bromhead was involved in a motor vehicle accident where it was reprted that he factured his leg. The leg was fractured again in September 2011 when Bromhead jumped up to ask a question during question time in parliament.
At the March 2011 elections, Bromhead was elected and received a swing toward him of 11.2% after preferences in the traditionally strong Nationals seat, winning 78.6% of the vote on a two-party preferred basis.
- "About Stephen Bromhead". Campaign website. National Party of Australia. 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "Stephen Bromhead - Partner". Our staff members. Bromhead Legal. 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Smith, Alexandra (18 March 2011). "Nationals candidate breaks leg in car crash". Sydney Morning Herald (Fairfax Media). Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "NSW MP Stephen Bromhead breaks his leg during Parliament Question Time".
- Green, Antony (31 March 2011). "Myall Lakes". NSW Votes 2011 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 3 April 2011.
|Parliament of New South Wales|
|Member for Myall Lakes