Stephen C. Stearns
This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Stephen C. Stearns|
|Born||December 12, 1946 (age 71)|
|Alma mater||Yale University, University of Wisconsin, University of British Columbia|
|Known for||Life history evolution, evolutionary medicine|
|Spouse(s)||Beverly Peterson Stearns|
|Children||Justin K. Stearns, Jason Stearns|
|Fields||Evolutionary biology, Life history evolution, Evolutionary medicine|
|Institutions||Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Yale University|
|Thesis||A comparison of the evolution and expression of life history traits in stable and fluctuating environments: Gambusia affinis in Hawaii (1975)|
|Notable students||Jacob Koella, Dieter Ebert, Tad Kawecki, Martin Ackermann|
Stephen C. Stearns (born December 12, 1946, in Kapaau, Hawaii and raised in Hawi, Hawaii), an American biologist, is the Edward P. Bass Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Yale University. He is known for his work in life history theory and evolutionary medicine.
Education and training
- BA Yale University 1967
- MSc University of Wisconsin, Madison 1971
- PhD University of British Columbia 1975
- Miller Fellow University of California, Berkeley 1978
Investment in Infrastructure
- Helped to found the European Society for Evolutionary Biology (ESEB) in 1987. He later served on its Council and as its President.
- Founded the Journal of Evolutionary Biology, ESEB's main journal, served as its first managing editor from 1986 to 1991, and later served on its Editorial Board. (According to Stearns, the ESEB was founded in part because Birkhäuser would not agree to a new journal unless it was backed by a society.)
- With Tim Clutton-Brock, founded the Tropical Biology Association in 1991.
- Founded the online open-access journal Evolution, Medicine, and Public Health and created the Foundation for Evolution, Medicine, and Public Health. 2011–2012
Awards and honors
- 1987: Elected Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- 1993: European Chair of Biology at the École normale supérieure, Paris.
- 2000: Clarion Award from the Association for Women in Communications for a book he wrote with his wife, Beverly Peterson Stearns, Watching, from the Edge of Extinction.
- 2000: Distinguished Ecologist, University of Michigan.
- 2004: Raymond Pearl Memorial Lecturer, Human Biology Association.
- 2005: Fellow, Konrad Lorenz Institute.
- 2005: Fellow, Rockefeller Bellagio Conference and Study Center.
- 2005: Honorary Member of the Swiss Zoological Society.
- 2007: Fellow, European Society for Evolutionary Biology.
- 2011: DeVane Medal for distinction in undergraduate teaching, Yale University Phi Beta Kappa.
- 2011–2012: Fellow, Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin
- 2015: Honorary Doctorate, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Zurich.
- 2000–present: Edward P. Bass Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Yale University
- 1983–2000: Professor of Zoology, University of Basel.
- 1978–1983: Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, Reed College
- 1995: Vice president of the Society for the Study of Evolution
- 1995–1996: Dean, Faculty of Science, University of Basel
- 1991–1998: President, Tropical Biology Association.
- 1994–1998: Chair, European Science Foundation Program in Population Biology.
- 2002–2005: Chair, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Yale University
- 1986–1991: Managing Editor, Journal of Evolutionary Biology
- 2012–2016: Editor in Chief, Evolution, Medicine, and Public Health
- The Evolution of Sex and its Consequences (Birkhaeuser 1987) ISBN 978-3-0348-6273-8
- The Evolution of Life Histories (Oxford University Press 1992) ISBN 978-0-19-857741-6
- Evolution in Health and Disease (Oxford University Press 1999, 2nd Ed with Jacob Koella 2007) ISBN 978-0-19-920746-6
- Watching, from the Edge of Extinction (first author Beverly Peterson Stearns, Yale University Press 1999) ISBN 978-0-300-07606-6
- Evolution, an Introduction (with Rolf Hoekstra, Oxford University Press 2000, 2nd Ed 2005) ISBN 978-0-19-925563-4
- Evolutionary Medicine (with Ruslan Medzhitov, Sinauer 2016) ISBN 978-1-60535-260-2
- Stearns, Stephen C. (1976), "Life-history tactics: A review of the ideas", The Quarterly Review of Biology, 51 (1): 3–47, doi:10.1086/409052, JSTOR 2825234.
- Stearns, Stephen C. (1977), "The evolution of life history traits: A critique of the theory and a review of the data" (PDF), Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 8: 145–171, doi:10.1146/annurev.es.08.110177.001045, JSTOR 2096724.
- Stearns, Stephen C.; Koella, Jacob C. (1986), "The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in life-history traits: Predictions of reaction norms for age and size at maturity" (PDF), Evolution, 40 (5): 893–913, doi:10.2307/2408752.
- Stearns, Stephen C. (1989), "The evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity", BioScience, 39 (7): 436–445, doi:10.2307/1311135, JSTOR 1311135.
- Stearns, S. C. (1989), "Trade-offs in life-history evolution" (PDF), Functional Ecology, 3 (3): 259–268, doi:10.2307/2389364, JSTOR 2389364.
- "Noted zoologist Stephen Stearns is new Bass Professor", Yale Bulletin and Calendar, 29 (1), September 1, 2000.
- Stearns, S. C. (2008), "How the European Society for Evolutionary Biology and the Journal of Evolutionary Biology were founded" (PDF), Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21 (6): 1449–1451, doi:10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01626.x, PMID 19018942, archived from the original (PDF) on 21 June 2010.
- Lim, Tse Yang (Spring 2011), "That wondrous feeling of learning something new: Tse Yang Lim '11 offered these comments about his teacher, Professor Stephen Stearns, at the DeVane Award ceremony in February", Inside the Classroom: Undergraduate Teaching at Yale.
- "News: Noted zoologist Stephen Stearns is new Bass Professor". Yale Bulletin and Calendar. 29 (1). September 1, 2000. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Behnke, J. M. (7 January 2009). "Review: Evolution in Health and Disease, 2nd edition, edited by S. C. Sterns and J. C. Koella". Parasit Vectors. 2: 4. doi:10.1186/1756-3305-2-4. PMC .
- Dudgeon, D. (January 2001). "Review: Watching, from the edge of extinction by B. P. Stearns & S. C. Stearns". Porcupine! Newsletter of the Dept. of Ecology & Biodiversity, U. of Hong Kong (22): 28–29.
- Stearns, B. P.; Stearns, S. C. (2010). "Still watching, from the edge of extinction". BioScience. 60 (2): 141–146. doi:10.1525/bio.2010.60.2.8.
- Zimmerman, William F. (June 2007). "Review: Evolution: An Introduction, 2nd edition by Stephen C. Stearns and Rolf Hoekstra". The Quarterly Review of Biology. 82 (2): 149. doi:10.1086/519589.
- Stearns' web site at Yale University
- Stearns' introductory course Principles of Evolution, Ecology and Behavior at Open Yale Courses
- Evolution and Medicine (2015) with Stephen Stearns, YouTube
- Evolution, Medicine, and Public Health at Oxford University Press