Stephen Chow in 2008.
|Alma mater||Adjunct professor of Renmin University of China|
|Parent(s)||Ling Po Yee (mother) |
Chow Yik Sheung (father)
|Family||Chow Man Kei (sister) |
Chow Sing Ha (sister)
|Also known as||Sing Yeh (meaning "Master Sing") (星爺) |
Bang Zhu (meaning "Fuehrer") (帮主)
Stephen Chow Sing Chi (Chinese: 周星馳, born 22 June 1962) is a Hong Kong film director, actor, producer, political adviser of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference and martial artist. He was also nicknamed "The King Of Comedy".
Early life and education
Chow was born in Hong Kong on 22 June 1962 to Ling Po Yee (凌寶兒), an alumnus of Guangzhou Normal University, and Chow Yik Sheung (周驛尚), an immigrant from Ningbo, Zhejiang. Chow has an elder sister named Chow Man Kei (周文姬) and a younger sister named Chow Sing Ha (周星霞). Chow's given name "Sing-chi" (星馳) derives from Tang dynasty (618–907) Chinese poet Wang Bo's essay Preface to the Prince of Teng's Pavilion. After his parents divorced when he was seven, Chow was raised by his mother. Chow attended Xiehe School , a missionary school attached to the Hong Kong Council of the Church of Christ in China in Prince Edward Road, Kowloon Peninsula. When he was nine, he saw Bruce Lee's film The Big Boss, which inspired him to become a martial arts star. Chow entered San Marino Secondary School, where he studied alongside Lee Kin-yan. After graduation, he was accepted to TVB's acting classes.
Chow began his career as a temporary actor on television. He graduated from TVB's acting classes in 1982. Chow began to find some success with the children's programme 430 Space Shuttle. In 1988, Chow entered the movie industry through the film Final Justice, which won him the Taiwan Golden Horse Award for Best Supporting Actor.
Chow shot to stardom in The Final Combat (1989). Fight Back to School (1991) became Hong Kong's top-grossing film of all time. In 1994, he began directing films, starting with From Beijing with Love. In the latter half of the 1990s, China began to warm to his films and he became Stephen Chow Phenomenon (周星驰现象).
In 2001, his film Shaolin Soccer grossed over US$50 million worldwide. Chow won Best Director and Best Actor at the 2002 Hong Kong Film Awards, and the film went on to garner additional awards including a Blue Ribbon Awards for Best Foreign Language Film and the Golden Bauhinia Award for Best Picture and Best Director.
In 2004, his film Kung Fu Hustle grossed over US$106 million worldwide. Chow also won Best Director at the Taiwan Golden Horse Awards and Best Picture of Imagine Film Festival as well as twenty international awards.
His film CJ7 began filming in July 2006 in the eastern Chinese port of Ningbo. In August 2007 the film was given the title CJ7, a play on China's successful Shenzhou manned space missions—Shenzhou 5 and Shenzhou 6. CJ7 became the highest-grossing film of all time in Malaysia.
In 2013, his film Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons became the highest-grossing Chinese film of all time.
In 2016, his new film The Mermaid broke numerous box office records: Biggest opening day, biggest single-day gross after its seventh day of release, biggest opening week of all time in China. On 19 February, it became the highest-grossing film of all time in China.
The Mermaid was released in Vietnam on 10 February, 2016. On 14 March, it became the third-highest-grossing film of all time in Vietnam. It has now grossed over US$553.81 million worldwide and is the highest-grossing movie of all time in Asia.
Stephen Chow became the ninth-top-grossing Hollywood Director of 2016.
|Year||English Title||Chinese title||Role||Award|
|1988||Final Justice||霹靂先鋒||Actor||Golden Horse Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|1988||He Who Chases After the Wind||捕風漢子||Actor|
|1989||The Final Combat (TV series)||蓋世豪俠||Actor|
|1989||The Justice of Life (TV series)||他來自江湖||Actor|
|1989||Thunder Cops II||贼公差婆||Actor|
|1990||Love Is Love||望夫成龍||Actor|
|1990||Lung Fung Restaurant||龍鳳茶樓||Actor|
|1990||The Unmatchable Match||风雨同路||Actor|
|1990||Curry and Pepper||咖喱辣椒||Actor|
|1990||Look Out, Officer!||師兄撞鬼||Actor|
|1990||All for the Winner||賭聖||Actor|
|1990||When Fortune Smiles||無敵幸運星||Actor|
|1990||Legend of the Dragon||龍的傳人||Actor|
|1991||God of Gamblers II||賭俠||Actor|
|1991||The Top Bet||賭霸||Actor|
|1991||Fist of Fury 1991||新精武門1991||Actor|
|1991||Fight Back to School||逃學威龍||Actor|
|1991||God of Gamblers III: Back to Shanghai||賭俠2之上海灘賭聖||Actor|
|1991||The Magnificent Scoundrels||情聖||Actor|
|1992||Fist of Fury 1991 II||漫畫威龍||Actor|
|1992||All's Well, Ends Well||家有囍事||Actor|
|1992||Fight Back to School II||逃學威龍2||Actor|
|1992||Justice, My Foot!||審死官||Actor||Asia Pacific Film Festival for Best Actor|
|1992||Royal Tramp II||鹿鼎記2神龍教||Actor|
|1992||King of Beggars||武狀元蘇乞兒||Actor|
|1992||The Thief of Time||群星會||Actor|
|1993||Fight Back to School III||逃學威龍3之龍過雞年||Actor|
|1993||Flirting Scholar||唐伯虎點秋香||Director, Actor|
|1993||The Mad Monk||濟公||Actor|
|1994||Love on Delivery||破壞之王||Director, Actor|
|1994||Hail the Judge||九品芝麻官||Actor|
|1994||From Beijing with Love||國產凌凌漆||Director, Screenwriter, Actor|
|1995||A Chinese Odyssey Part One: Pandora's Box||西遊記第壹佰零壹回之月光寶盒||Actor||Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards for Best Actor|
|1995||A Chinese Odyssey Part Two: Cinderella||西遊記大結局之仙履奇緣||Actor||Golden Bauhinia Awards for Best Actor|
|1995||Out of the Dark||回魂夜||Actor|
|1995||Sixty Million Dollar Man||百變星君||Actor|
|1996||Forbidden City Cop||大內密探零零發||Director, Screenwriter, Actor|
|1996||The God of Cookery||食神||Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Actor|
|1997||All's Well, Ends Well 1997||97家有囍事||Actor|
|1998||The Lucky Guy||行運一條龍||Actor|
|1999||The Tricky Master||千王之王2000||Actor|
|1999||King of Comedy||喜劇之王||Director, Screenwriter, Actor|
|2001||Shaolin Soccer||少林足球||Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Action Choreography, Actor||Blue Ribbon Award for Best Foreign Language Film|
Golden Bauhinia Awards for Best Film
Hong Kong Film Award for Best Film
Hong Kong Film Award for Best Director
Hong Kong Film Award for Best New Director
Hong Kong Film Award for Best Actor
Golden Bauhinia Awards for Best Director
|2004||Kung Fu Hustle||功夫||Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Composer, Actor||Amsterdam Fantastic Film Festival for Silver Scream Award|
Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Florida Film Critics Circle Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Golden Horse Award for Best Feature Film
Golden Horse Award for Best Director
Hong Kong Film Award for Best Film
Las Vegas Film Critics Society Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Phoenix Film Critics Society Award for Best Foreign Language Film
|2008||CJ7||長江七號||Producer, Director, Screenwriter, Actor||Neuchâtel International Fantasy Film Festival for Audience Award|
Chunyan Awards for Best Actor
|2010||CJ7: The Cartoon||長江7號愛地球||Producer|
|2013||Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons||西遊·降魔篇||Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Action Choreography|
|2016||The Mermaid ||美人魚||Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Composer||Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards for Best Director|
|2017||Journey to the West: The Demons Strike Back||西遊伏妖篇||Producer|
|2019||The New King of Comedy||新喜剧之王||Director, Producer, Screenwriter|
|2019||Project D（sequel of From Beijing with Love）||D计划||Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Actor|
|2019||Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons TV||剧版西遊降魔篇||Producer|
|2019||The Mermaid TV||剧版美人魚||Producer|
|2019 Summer||The Mermaid 2||美人魚2||Director, Producer, Screenwriter|
|Amsterdam Fantastic Film Festival
|Asia Pacific Film Festival
|Blue Ribbon Awards
|Boston Society of Film Critics Awards
|Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards
|Florida Film Critics Circle Awards
|Golden Bauhinia Awards
|Golden Horse Awards|
|Hong Kong Film Awards|
|Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards|
|Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards
|Southeastern Film Critics Association Awards
|Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association Awards
|Utah Film Critics Association Awards
|Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards
|Golden Globe Award
- adjunct professor of Renmin University of China, PEOPLE
- Stephen Chow the NO.1 star of China, PEOPLE; accessed 10 October 2018.
- Stephen Chow earn US$420 million, PEOPLE
- Stephen Chow earn US$420 million, CCTV
- ""跟周星驰不熟"的丑陋娱乐圈". opinion.people.com.cn.
- Why Stephen Chow be different to all Hong Kong star
- Hua (2016), p. 4-5.
- Hua (2016), p. 5-6.
- Hua (2016), p. 5.
- Hua (2016), p. 11.
- Hua (2016), p. 15-19.
- Hua (2016), p. 69-73.
- "Stephen Chow — The star of Shaolin Soccer doesn't mind if the joke is on him". TIME. 23 April 2003.
- "Stephen Chow". Time. 28 April 2003.
- Over 2 million people watched The Final Combat and Hong Kong only 5.18 million people in that time
- Chinese watched Stephen Chow's films and grew up. So they knew Stephen Chow's words and use them customarily., PEOPLE
- "What is Stephen Chow Phenomenon".
- Tencent： WeChat's icon is made of Stephen Chow's action, xinhua
- "《少林足球》风靡意大利 意甲球星为电影配音_2006德国世界杯". 2006.163.com.
- 2006 FIFA World Cup
- "奥地利热播 周星驰粤语小调德语配音-搜狐体育". sports.sohu.com.
- "Shaolin soccer kicks an international goal". asiaarts.ucla.edu. 1 August 2003. Archived from the original on 21 July 2012.
- "Siu lam juk kau awards (2001)". imdb.com. 1 January 2009.
- "Kung Fu (2004) - Awards". imdb.com. 1 January 2009.
- "Stephen Chow's Sci-fi/Comedy will give 'A Hope' to audiences". twitchfilm.net. 29 September 2006. Archived from the original on 12 October 2008. Retrieved 19 September 2008.
- "Stephen Chow's Movie 'A Hope' Changes Title". Asian Popcorn. 17 August 2007. Retrieved 31 August 2007.
- box office mojo: CJ7 $3,695,033 > Titanic $2,764,733 in Malaysia
- The Hollywood Reporter (7 December 2016). "Stephen Chow's last two films set all-time China box-office records at the time of their release". Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Stephen Chow in China=Star War in American". Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "NO.1 star in China -- Stephen Chow". Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "Stephen Chow Movie: The Mermaid Worldwide Box Office: US$553.81 million". Forbes.
- "『少林サッカー』チャウ・シンチー最新作は『人魚姫』！ 新春に日本上陸決定". cinemacafe.net.
- Forbes (31 December 2016). "Top-Grossing Hollywood Directors". Forbes. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "Stephen Chow casting his new Mermaid movie with a public talent search". Filmdivider.com. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "周星驰剧透《新喜剧之王》主角是女版"尹天仇"". XinHua. 22 January 2019.
- "周星驰：观众看完电影就会知道了。如果一定要带入《喜剧之王》，那她也应该是"尹天仇"，观众也许会问"尹天仇"怎么变成女的了？我们这次讲的是一个女版"尹天仇"的故事。". PEOPLE. 22 January 2019.
- "HUAWEI Honor CEO will be technical adviser of Stephen Chow Movie".
- "What is the Project D".
- Hua, Cheng (2016). 《周星驰：做人如果没有梦想，跟咸鱼有什么分别》 [Stephen Chow: Without Dream, What's the Difference between Men And Salted Fish] (in Chinese). Xicheng District, Beijing: Sino-Culture Press. ISBN 978-7-5075-4635-4.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stephen Chow.|