|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Chelmsford|
Bishop Stephen Cottrell 
|Installed||27 November 2010|
|Other posts||area Bishop of Reading
|Consecration||4 May 2004 |
|Birth name||Stephen Geoffrey Cottrell|
31 August 1958 |
Leigh-on-Sea, Essex 
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Residence||Bishopscourt, Margaretting, near Ingatestone, Essex |
|Alma mater||Polytechnic of Central London|
Stephen Geoffrey Cottrell, SCP (born 31 August 1958) is a Church of England bishop. Since October 2010, he has been the Bishop of Chelmsford. From 2004 to 2010, he was the Bishop of Reading, a suffragan bishop in the Diocese of Oxford.
Cottrell was born in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex. He was educated at Belfairs High School. He studied at the Polytechnic of Central London, graduating Bachelor of Arts (BA). He trained for ordination at St Stephen's House, Oxford.
He was ordained in 1985. His ordained ministry began as a curate at Christ Church, Forest Hill, after which he was priest in charge of St Wilfrid's, Chichester then Diocesan Missioner for the Diocese of Wakefield and finally (before his ordination to the episcopate) Canon Pastor of Peterborough Cathedral.
Cottrell was nominated area Bishop of Reading on 6 January 2004, after Jeffrey John controversially withdrew his nomination to the post in 2003. He had been a supporter of John's original appointment. He said of his nomination: "I am looking forward to becoming the next Bishop of Reading with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. I believe my work in mission and evangelism has prepared me well for the challenges facing the church in this new century. I hope and pray that my love for and understanding of the different traditions of the Church of England will enable me to be a focus for unity in the Reading Episcopal area." He was consecrated on 4 May 2004, following confirmation of the appointment by Letters Patent.
Following his nomination as Bishop of Chelmsford on 22 March 2010, he was translated to the Diocese of Chelmsford as bishop on 6 October 2010. He was installed at Chelmsford Cathedral on 27 November 2010.
He is a member of the Society of Catholic Priests (SCP), and a member of Affirming Catholicism. In December 2014, he was selected as president of the movement, taking up the appointment at the start of 2015.
He has written several books on the subject of evangelism among his 38 published titles.
Cottrell is married to Rebecca. Together, they have three children.
- Stephen Cottrell Esq (1958–1985)
- The Reverend Stephen Cottrell (1985–2001)
- The Reverend Canon Stephen Cottrell (2001–2004)
- The Right Reverend Stephen Cottrell (2004–present)
- Hit the Ground Kneeling: Seeing Leadership Differently (Church House Publishing, November 2008); ISBN 0-7151-4162-7
- The Things He Carried (SPCK Publishing, November 2008); ISBN 0-281-06080-0
- Do Nothing... Christmas is Coming: An Advent Calendar with a Difference (Church House Publishing, August 2008); ISBN 0-7151-4164-3
- Do Nothing to Change Your Life: Discovering What Happens When You Stop (Church House Publishing, May 2007); ISBN 0-7151-4118-X
- Abundance of the Heart: Catholic Evangelism for All Christians (Darton, Longman and Todd Ltd, May 2006); ISBN 0-232-52636-2
- I Thirst: The Cross - The Great Triumph of Love (Zondervan Publishing House, January 2004); ISBN 0-310-25069-2
- Praying through Life: How to Pray in the Home, at Work and in the Family (Church House Publishing; 2nd Revised edition, November 2003); ISBN 0-7151-4010-8
- On This Rock: Bible Foundations for Christian Living (The Bible Reading Fellowship, January 2003); ISBN 1-84101-238-6
- Travelling Well: A Companion Guide to the Christian Faith (Church House Publishing, June 2000); ISBN 0-7151-4935-0
- Catholic Evangelism (Affirming Catholicism) (Darton, Longman and Todd Ltd, March 1998); ISBN 0-232-52271-5
- Sacrament, Wholeness and Evangelism: A Catholic Approach (Grove Books Ltd, February 1996); ISBN 1-85174-309-X
- Taken at SS Peter and Andrew's Church, Old Windsor at a confirmation service in September 2007
- "Next Bishop of Chelmsford comes home 'hungry for us to be a Church that connects with every person and every community'", Diocese of Chelmsford website, 22 March 2010. Retrieved on 22 March 2010.
- St Mary's Purley Parish News
- Provincial Directory: Chelmsford. Retrieved on 12 December 2008.
- Who's Who, 2008: London, A & C Black, ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Suffragan See of Reading, Prime Minister's office, 6 January 2004. Retrieved 30 September 2008.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory, 2008/2009, Lambeth, Church House Publishing, ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- Forest Hill Christ Church with St Paul (within the parish of Perry Hill, St George with Christ Church & St Paul), Anglican Diocese of Southwark. Retrieved 30 September 2008.
- The London Gazette: . 4 May 2004. Retrieved 2007-11-14.
- New Bishop of Reading revealed, BBC Berkshire, 6 January 2004. Retrieved 30 September 2008
- "Bishop of Chelmsford: Together we will be a transforming presence and make Christ known". Diocese of Chelmsford. Archived 9 February 2011. 11 October 2010. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- The Rt Revd Stephen Geoffrey Cottrell, Anglican Communion News Service, 1 August 2008. Retrieved 30 September 2008.
- "NEW PRESIDENT OF AFF CATH ANNOUNCED". Latest News. Affirming Catholicism. 20 December 2014. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Amazon.co.uk: Stephen Cottrell
- Trident discussion | the Door
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Reading
|Bishop of Chelmsford