Stephen D. Glazier
Stephen D. Glazier (born Mystic, Connecticut) is an American anthropologist. Currently, he is a Research Anthropologist at the Human Relations Area Files at Yale University. He has conducted extensive fieldwork in Trinidad focusing on Caribbean religions such as Rastafari, Orisa/Sango, and the Spiritual Baptists. He also publishes on Caribbean archaeology and ethnohistory and cataloged Irving Rouse's St. Joseph (Trinidad) and Mayo (Trinidad) collections for the Yale Peabody Museum. Glazier was a member of the Graduate Faculty in Anthropology at the University of Nebraska and offered classes in general (four-field) anthropology, race and minority relations, and the anthropology of belief systems. He began his graduate studies in anthropology at Princeton University under Martin G. Silverman, Hildred Geertz, Alfonso Ortiz, and Vincent Crapanzano. He also earned an M.Div. from Princeton Theological Seminary."Princeton Theological Seminary". His M. Div. thesis—based on experiences as an Assistant Chaplain at New Jersey Neuro Psychiatric Institute—dealt with patterns of schizophrenic speech. He was awarded a Ph. D. in Anthropology from the University of Connecticut  in 1981. His dissertation advisors were Seth Leacock, Dennison J. Nash, and Ronald M. Wintrob. Glazier served as book review editor of the journal Anthropology of Consciousness. He was elected for two terms as President of the Society for the Anthropology of Consciousness. In addition, he served as Vice-President and Secretary of the Society for the Anthropology of Religion and as a Council Member and as Secretary of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion.
- Stephen D. Glazier and Charles A. Flowerday, editors. 2003. Selected Readings in the Anthropology of Religion: Theoretical and Methodological Essays. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Andrew S. Buckser and Stephen D. Glazier, editors. 2003. The Anthropology of Religious Conversion. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Stephen D. Glazier, general editor. 2001. The Encyclopedia of African and African American Religions New York and London: Routledge.
- Stephen D. Glazier, editor. 1999. Anthropology of Religion: A Handbook. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1991. Marchin' the Pilgrims Home: A Study of Spiritual Baptists of Trinidad. Salem, WI: Sheffield Publishing
- Stephen D. Glazier, editor. 1985. Caribbean Ethnicity Revisited. New York and London: Gordon and Breach.
- Stephen D. Glazier, editor. 1980. Perspectives on Pentecostalism: Case Studies from the Caribbean and Latin America. Lanham, MD: University Press of America
- Stephen D. Glazier 1980. Spiritual Baptist Music of Trinidad; Recorded in Trinidad by Stephen D. Glazier. FE 4234. New York: Folkways Record and Service Corp. (Re-issued in 1991 by The Smithsonian Institution).
Stephen D. Glazier. 2016. "Foreword to the Chase." Chasing Religion in the Caribbean: Ethnographic Journeys from Antigua to Trinidad, by Peter G. Marina. New York and London: Palgrave, pp. vii-xv.
Stephen D. Glazier. 2015. "Pilgrimages in the Caribbean: A Comparison of Cases from Haiti and Trinidad’. In Religion, Pilgrimage, and Tourism, edited by Alex Norman, Carole M. Cusack. New York and London: Routledge.
Stephen D. Glazier. 2015. “Conduits, Barriers, and Interaction Spheres: Re-Thinking the Island of Trinidad in the Guiana Cultural Area.” Proceedings of the 25th International Congress for Caribbean Archaeology. Laura Del Olmo, editor. San Juan, Puerto Rico: Instituto de Cultura Puertorriguena, pp. 379-394
Noel Titus and Stephen D. Glazier. 2014. "Grenada" Worldmark Encyclopedia of Religious Practices. Thomas Riggs, editor. Gale Research, vol. 3, pp.13–18.
Stephen D. Glazier. 2013. "Sango Healers and Healing in the Caribbean." Chapter 7 in Caribbean Healing Traditions: Implications for Health and Mental Health. Patsy Sutherland. Roy Moodley, and Barry Chavannes editors. New York and London: Routledge. pp.89–100.
Stephen D. Glazier. 2013. "Rastafarianism" in Encyclopedia of Race and Racism. 2nd edition. Patrick L. Mason, editor. New York: Macmillan Reference, pp. 472–474.
Stephen D. Glazier. 2012. "Religious Developments in the Caribbean Between 1865 and 1945" in The Cambridge History of Religions in America. Vol. II: Religions in America, 1790-1945. Stephen J. Stein, editor. New York and London: Cambridge University Press, pp.727–748.
Stephen D. Glazier. 2011. "Anthropology and Religious Belief" in The Anthropology of Religion: Critical Concepts in Religious Studies. Phillips Stevens Jr, and Denice J. Szafran, editors. New York and London: Routledge, volume I, pp.32–37.
Stephen D. Glazier. 2011. "Aruba" (pp. 61–63), "Bahamas" (pp. 107–108), "Barbados" (pp.117–118), "Jamaica" (pp. 613–614), and "Martinique" (II, pp.749–750, with C. M. Dietrich) in Encyclopedia of Global Religion. Mark Jurgensmeyer and Wade Clark Roof, editors. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Reference.