Stephen Harper (designer)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Stephen Harper is a British designer who works primarily in the automotive industry. He is responsible for a huge number of cars including the MG F, Ford Escort RS Cosworth, and the 2010 Volvo C70. Founding design education took place at the Royal College of Art in London in 1979-1980 following earning an apprenticeship to the Austin Motor Company (a part of British Leyland) in Longbridge, Birmingham in 1978.
Stephen then moved to Volvo BV in the Netherlands to help with the Volvo 480 and Volvo 440 before returning to the UK to work for MGA. It was here that Stephen became involved with Rover Special products, creating the initial design for the MGF as well as a number of other niche Rovers that weren't released.
From there, Stephen worked on various projects in the UK before returning to Volvo (this time in Sweden) in 2000, when he became hugely influential in the creation of Volvo's post-millennial re-definition of the brand, having designed a string of cars for the company.
Returned to the UK in 2007, where he once again set up SHADO Ltd (SHADO is the acronym of "Steve Harper Art & Design Organisation") as a Design Consultancy,as Managing Director, this time in Paignton in Devon.
Companies worked for
- SHADO Ltd (2007-date)
- Volvo Cars Design Studio (2000–2008)
- Creative Automotive Design (1994–2000)
- SHADO Ltd (1993–2000)
- MGA Developments Ltd (1987–1993)
- SHADO (1986–1987)
- Volvo Cars BV (1985–1987)
- Austin-Rover Styling Studios (1978–1984)
- "MG Icon concept car at 2012 Beijing motor show". Car Magazine. 23 April 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- Further reading
- ^ 'Movers & Shakers – Steve Harper – Grabbing you heart-strings', Andrew Noakes, Classic Cars, June 2009.
- ^ 'The Escort Cosworth Story: Project Feral ACE-14', Dan White/Jamie King, Fast Ford, August 2009.
- ^ 'Bright Sparks', Jane Simms, Director, June 2009.
- ^ 'Steve's imagination lets him soar into the air', Paul Greaves, Herald Express, 12 March 2009.
- ^ 'Design Guru's £5m bid to find new talent', David Smith, The Observer, 8 February 2009.
- ^ 'Cosmetic Brilliance', Mabuyane Kekana, SOWETAN Road Rave, 22 August 2007.
- ^ 'Volvo refreshes the S40 sedan and V50 wagon inside and out', Jim Robinson, Metroland Media Group, 9 August 2007.
- ^ '2008 Volvo S40 and V50 First Impressions', Nadine Filion, AUTO123.com, 9 July 2007.
- ^ 'Volvo grows younger', J.P Vettraino, AUTOWEEK, 26 June 2007.
- ^ 'The Nokia,Ikea of a Car', Wiwat Chang, Bangkok Post, 13 October 2006.
- ^ 'Think like a Swede', Glen Woodcock, AUTONET DRIVE, 9 October 2006.
- ^ 'Car design can be a national game', Tony Whitney, Vancouver Sun, 29 September 2006
- ^ '2007 Volvo S80', Bengt Halvorson, carconnections.com, 25 September 2006.
- ^ 'S60 with added BLIS', Alastair Clements, AUTOCAR, 22 June 2004.
- ^ 'Facelift plus for big Volvo's', Andrew Hamilton, The Irish Times, 16 June 2004.
- ^ 'Big upgrades for Volvo's', John Oxley, WHEELS24.co.za, 17 February 2005.
- ^ 'Our Steve's a real character', Edward Stephens, Birmingham Evening Mail, 27 August 2004.
- ^ 'Volvo S80', Martin Sharp, AutoExpress, 20 May 2003.
- ^ 'Volvo S60R and V70R', Eddie Alterman, Automobile, February 2003.
- ^ 'The Cosworth Fords', Jeremy Walton, Bluestream Books. ISBN 1-85260-481-6.
- ^ 'Three-Wheelers', Chris Rees. Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-901860-01-9
- SHADO Design Stephen Harper's design company.