Stephen Ronald Craig Hicks
August 19, 1960
|Nationality||Canadian and American|
|Education||University of Guelph (BA, MA)|
Indiana University, Bloomington (PhD)
|Epistemology, Business Ethics, Postmodernism|
|Criticism of postmodernism, entrepreneurism|
Hicks earned his Bachelor of Arts (Honours, 1981) and Master of Arts degrees from the University of Guelph, and his Doctor of Philosophy (1991) from Indiana University Bloomington. His doctoral thesis was a defense of foundationalism.
Hicks is the author of five books and a documentary. Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault (Scholargy, 2004) argues that postmodernism is best understood as a rhetorical strategy of the academic left developed in reaction to the failure of anarchism, socialism and communism.
Hicks' documentary and book, Nietzsche and the Nazis, is an examination of the ideological and philosophical roots of Nazism, particularly how Friedrich Nietzsche's ideas were used, and in some cases misused, by Adolf Hitler and the Nazis to justify their beliefs and practices. This was released in 2006 as a video documentary and then in 2010 as a book.
Additionally, Hicks has published articles and essays on a range of subjects, including entrepreneurism, free speech in academia, the history and development of modern art, Ayn Rand's Objectivism, business ethics and the philosophy of education, including a series of YouTube lectures.
Hicks is also the co-editor, with David Kelley, of a critical thinking textbook, The Art of Reasoning: Readings for Logical Analysis (W. W. Norton & Co., second edition, 1998), Entrepreneurial Living with Jennifer Harrolle (CEEF, 2016), and Liberalism Pro and Con (Connor Court, 2020).
- Hicks, Stephen. "Foundationalism and the Genesis of Justification".
- "Postmodernism Unpeeled". davidthompson. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- Donway, Roger. "The Postmodern Assault on Reason". The Atlas Society. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- "Stephen Hicks, Ph.D. » "Nietzsche and the Nazis" update". Stephenhicks.org. 2009. Retrieved 2011-01-06.
- "Stephen Hicks, Ph.D. » Nietzsche and the Nazis". Stephenhicks.org. 2010-04-25. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- Hicks, Stephen R. C. (2 May 2016). "What Entrepreneurship Can Teach Us About Life". Wall Street Journal.
- Free Speech and Postmodernism, (2002)
- "Why Art Became Ugly". Heyokamagazine.com. Archived from the original on 2010-12-16. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "Post-Postmodern Art". Michaelnewberry.com. Archived from the original on 2010-11-20. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- Objectivism page from Hicks's website
- Business and economics ethics page from Hicks's website
- Philosophy of Education page on Hicks's website.
- The Center for Ethics and Entrepreneurship's website
- Information page for Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault
- Ockham's Razor Publishing's information page for Nietzsche and the Nazis
- Postmodern Monsters: Interview of Stephen Hicks by Benjamin Boyce
- Stephen Hicks: philosopher, highwayman: profile of Stephen Hicks by Kevin Ryan.