Stephen Hill (American football)
Hill (#5) as a Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket in 2009
|No. 87 Carolina Panthers|
|Date of birth:||April 25, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Tucker, Georgia|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||215 lb (98 kg)|
|High school:||Lithonia (GA) Miller Grove|
|NFL draft:||2012 / Round: 2 / Pick: 43|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Stephen Trevon Hill (born April 25, 1991) is an American football wide receiver for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the New York Jets in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football at Georgia Tech.
High school career
Track and field
Hill also ran track for the Miller Grove High School and Georgia Tech track team. He broke the state long jump record with a leap of 7.84 meters as a high school senior The previous record of 7.80 meters was held by Christian Taylor, who won the NCAA Indoor NCAA championship in the long jump in 2008. Hill's long jump would have won the 2009 ACC Outdoor Championship by 6.98 centimeters and he would have placed tied for ninth at the most recent Olympic Games. He also won the 300-meter hurdles at the 2009 Georgia State Olympics, with a time of 37.91 seconds.
2012 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 in||215 lb||34⅜ in||9⅜ in||4.36 s||1.49 s||2.50 s||4.48 s||6.88 s||39½ in||11 ft 1 in||14 reps|
|All values taken from NFL Combine.|
At Georgia Tech's Pro Day on March 6, 2012, Hill impressed NFL scouts with his pass catching ability and route running ability, something they had previously questioned. He was considered one of the best wide receiver prospects for the 2012 NFL Draft.
New York Jets
Hill was drafted in the second round by the New York Jets, who traded their 5th and 7th round selections to the Seattle Seahawks to move up four spots to the 43rd overall and select Hill. Hill came to an agreement with the team on a four-year $5 million contract with approximately $2.8 million in guarantees on May 3, 2012. Hill was named the starting receiver, alongside Santonio Holmes, on September 6, 2012. Hill made his professional debut on September 9, 2012, against division rival Buffalo Bills. Hill recorded five receptions for 84 yards and two touchdowns from quarterback Mark Sanchez despite battling a stomach illness. Hill was placed on injured reserve on December 19, 2012 after suffering a sprained LCL in his knee. He finished the year with 252 yards and three touchdowns.
In the 2013 season, his second in the league, Hill played in twelve games with the Jets, catching passes from rookie quarterback Geno Smith. In those twelve games Hill recorded 24 catches for 342 yards and just one touchdown—the touchdown came in a Week 3 win over the Buffalo Bills where Hill racked up a career-high 108 receiving yards. After missing the Jets' Week 14 game against the Oakland Raiders with a knee injury, the Jets placed Hill on the injured reserve on December 13, 2013, ending his season. Hill was released by the Jets on August 30, 2014.
After clearing waivers, Hill was added to practice squad of the Carolina Panthers on September 2, 2014. On August 2, 2015, he was waived/injured after tearing his right ACL. After going unclaimed, the Panthers placed Hill on injured reserve on August 5. On November 23, 2015, he was placed on reserve/suspended list for one game due to receiving a citation for marijuana possession.
- "Stephen Hill". Georgia Tech Football. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill entering NFL draft
- "Stephen Hill". NFL Draft Scout. Archived from the original on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "Stephen Hill". National Football League. Archived from the original on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "2012 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Stephen Hill". WalterFootball.com. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Speedy Hill continues ascent at Georgia Tech's pro day". CBS Sports. 6 March 2012. Archived from the original on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Lange, Randy (27 April 2012). "Jets Climb Up in Round 2 for WR Stephen Hill". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Vrentas, Jenny (3 May 2012). "Jets agree to four-year, $5 million deal with Stephen Hill". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 3 May 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- Vorkunov, Mike (6 September 2012). "Stephen Hill will start, Antonio Cromartie may play wide receiver against Buffalo Bills". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 15 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- Cimini, Rich (10 September 2012). "Hill loses lunch, wins praise". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on 11 September 2012. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- Cimini, Rich (19 December 2012). "Jets' Stephen Hill placed on IR". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on 21 December 2012. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- Twitter / nyjets: We have placed WR Stephen Hill (knee) on Injured Reserve.
- Lange, Randy (August 30, 2014). "Jets Make Final Cuts to Get to 53". New York Jets. Archived from the original on August 30, 2014. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Hanzus, Dan (September 2, 2014). "Stephen Hill signed to Panthers' practice squad". National Football League. Archived from the original on September 2, 2014. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Bergman, Jeremy (August 2, 2015). "Panthers waive WR Stephen Hill following torn ACL". NFL.com. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- Strickland, Bryan (August 5, 2015). "Panthers make roster moves". Panthers.com. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- "Panthers DE Wes Horton suspended 4 games after positive PED test". ESPN.com. November 23, 2015. Retrieved January 24, 2016.