Stephen Hill (Australian footballer)
Hill playing for Fremantle in 2016
|Full name||Stephen Hill|
|Date of birth||1 May 1990|
|Original team(s)||West Perth (WAFL)|
|Draft||3rd overall, 2008
|Debut||Round 1, 2009, Fremantle
vs. Western Bulldogs, at Subiaco Oval
|Height / weight||184cm / 82kg|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2016.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Hill played for West Perth in the WAFL and represented Western Australian in the 2008 AFL Under 18 Championships and after playing some very impressive games was named in the Under 18 All-Australian Team. He was originally tipped to be drafted later in the draft, but in the week leading up to the draft it was widely predicted that Fremantle would select him before Subiaco's Daniel Rich.
After kicking a goal with his first kick in AFL football against the Western Bulldogs, courtesy of a 50-metre penalty, Hill had some quiet games before playing his best game in the round 6 Western Derby against the Eagles. Hill gathered 21 possessions, 2 goals and a game high 7 inside 50s in Fremantle's come from behind win, which saw him earn the AFL Rising Star nomination for round 6. In the same game he also polled the 3 brownlow votes as best on ground. Hill has improved dramatically over his short career at Fremantle, an example being his ability to think quickly and efficiently during games, attributed by his often surges of fast speed when possessing the ball.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2016 season
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Broad, Ben (7 November 2008). "Draft countdown: Stephen Hill". afl.com. Retrieved 29 November 2008.
- Clark, Jay (8 November 2008). "Essendon set to swoop on West Perth quick Stephen Hill". PerthNow. Retrieved 29 November 2008.
- O’Donoghue, Craig (27 November 2008). "Dockers settle on Hill with a proviso". The West Australian. Archived from the original on 3 December 2008. Retrieved 29 November 2008.
- Washbourne, Michael (29 March 2009) Fremantle slump to 63-point loss to Bulldogs in round one; PerthNow
- Kim Hagdorn (3 May 2009) Fremantle Dockers offload West Coast Eagles; Herald Sun
- Fremantle's Stephen Hill awarded round six Rising Star nomination; Fox Sports; 5 May 2009
- Stephen Hill's player profile at AFL Tables
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stephen Hill (Australian footballer).|