Stephen I, Duke of Bavaria
To reduce the influence of the Wittelsbach Pope Nicholas IV refused his spiritual career in Salzburg and Stephen became a co-regnant of his brothers. During the absence of Otto III in Hungary 1305-1308 Stephen was the only governing duke of Lower Bavaria. Stephen was an enemy of the Habsburgs and died in 1310 during a war against Frederick I of Austria.
Marriage and children
In 1299, Stephen married Jutta of Schweidnitz. She was a daughter of Bolko I, Duke of Jawor and Świdnica and Beatrix of Brandenburg. Her maternal grandparents were Otto V, Margrave of Brandenburg-Salzwedel and Jutta of Hennenberg. They had eight children:
- Agnes of Wittelsbach (1301 - 7 December 1316). Joined the Cistercian Monastery at Seligenthal as a nun.
- Beatrix of Wittelsback (1302 - 29 April 1360). Married Henry III of Gorizia. Regent for their son John Henry IV of Gorizia.
- Friedrich of Wittelsbach (c. 1303). Considered to have died young.
- Judith of Wittelsbach (c. 1304). Considered to have died young.
- Henry XIV, Duke of Bavaria (29 September 1305 - 1 September 1339).
- Elizabeth of Wittelsbach (1306 - 25 March 1330). Married Otto, Duke of Austria.
- Otto IV, Duke of Lower Bavaria (3 January 1307 - 14 December 1334).
- Ludwig of Wittelsbach (c. 1308). Considered to have died young.
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Ancestors of Stephen I, Duke of Bavaria|
- Cawley, Charles, His listing along with his wife . The project "involves extracting and analysing detailed information from primary sources, including contemporary chronicles, cartularies, necrologies and testaments.", Medieval Lands database, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy
- Marek, Miroslav. "A listing of descendants of Otto I, Count of Scheyern, including Henry XIII and his children". Genealogy.EU. External link in
Stephen I, Duke of BavariaBorn: 1271 Died: 1310
|Duke of Lower Bavaria
Henry XIV with Otto IV