Stephen J. Hemsley
Stephen J. Hemsley (born 1952) is the Chief Executive Officer of UnitedHealth Group Inc.
He was Managing Partner and Chief Financial Officer at Arthur Andersen. In 1997, he joined the UnitedHealth Group. He has served as its Chief Executive Officer since 2006.
He was more involved in the handling of backdated stock options than previously revealed, according to documents filed in a 2008 shareholder lawsuit in a Minneapolis District Court. The company's two investigations largely exonerated him from the backdating scandal. However, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission(SEC) continued its investigations even after it in 2008 settled legal actions against both United Health Care itself and its former general counsel.
Business Week reports his annual salary as $1,300,000. Forbes magazine ranks him at 296th in its 2009 Special Report on CEO Compensation. His compensation was estimated at $3,241,042 by the FierceHealthcare newsletter. According to bizjournals.com the country's highest-paid CEO, Stephen Hemsley, made $101.96 million in 2010. In 2011 he was named the highest paid CEO by Forbes following a large gain in the value of his stock ownership. In late 2011, Hemsley's most recent annual compensation was estimated by Forbes at $48.8 million.
He serves as a trustee of the University of St. Thomas, Minnesota, and as a trustee of Minnesota Public Radio. Additionally, he is a member of the National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America, the organization's governing body.
- Suit: Hemsley had bigger role in UNH backdating David Phelps, Minneapolis Star Tribune, May 22, 2008
- SEC Files Settled Enforcement Actions Against UnitedHealth Group and Former General Counsel in Stock Options Backdating Case SEC Press release 2008-302]
- Stephen Hemsley: Executive Profile & BiographyBusiness Week
- Special Report on CEO CompensationForbes
- UnitedHealth Group's Stephen Hemsley - CEO Compensation by Dan Bowman, in FierceHealthcare May 14, 2009]
- "Unitedhealthcare's unspoken lobbying". 3 June 2011. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "#1 Stephen J Hemsley". Forbes. 13 April 2011.
- Boy Scouts of America Annual Report 2011